PDA

View Full Version : Need siphon power!

Mike_T
01-29-2003, 11:43 AM
Can anyone recommend a strong power head/water pump? I'm in my new place now, and my showtank is on the first floor. The storage barrels are in the basement, and I need a pump that will run the water upstairs into the showtank.'

Thanks

Mike T 8)

Jeff
01-29-2003, 12:14 PM
I bought a submersible sump pump from Home Depot. It works great for me, but I don't know what your head is. You might want to go there and check it out . It has a chart on the side as to what you can expect. :)

Smokey
01-29-2003, 12:47 PM
Mike; sounds like you may need a pump that can lift water about 15 feet and still have a flow rate of a least 600 gph, at that heigth. I have a Little Giant - 4-MDQX-SC, and it is a great pump( $$,$$). A powerful little pump , with lots of high head flow, low engry use, and the threads allows me to use standard pvc valves and connectors.
Another pump I use - Sureflo-2115, has great pressure, but a low water flow rate. still $$.$$,
HTH.
Smokey

01-29-2003, 01:26 PM
Mike, I have a Little Giant submersible pump I purchased from Lowes for $90--model number PMO- 658. When that part of my brain was at full functionability, I think it was 1500 gph. My water is brought up from the basement and fills the highest tank which is another 8ft. for a total of 18ft. head. The hose with ball valve is 1" ID. The larger hose and running length has alot to do with performance as well. My running length is 50 ft. I have a quick disconnect under the kitchen sink fascillitating easy wind up. Joe ;)

DREW
01-29-2003, 01:31 PM
do think a little giant would work going from the basement to a second level bedroom. I think hauling two 5gal pals 6 times up those stairs is going to get old :'(

Smokey
01-29-2003, 01:38 PM
The 4md-qx model has a head height of ~27 feet(where zero flow is). this may be extended by using a smaller diameter supply hose. Remember, the pump has to lift the weight of the water!!
Little Giant are good pumps, however I would call a supplier/wholesaler and see what alternatives are available.
You never know what a person can find..

Smokey

Mike_T
01-29-2003, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have both 3/4" and 1/2" tubing. In the interest of saving time I'd like to use the 3/4" if it can be done so effectively. I'll be using about 30 ft of hose. On a similar note, anyone have any good ideas for an automatic shutoff valve(electrical or otherwise)? My capacity for remembering a tank is filling leaves much to be desired, and I have more tank maintenance on my hands now than ever.

Thanks

Mike T 8)

01-29-2003, 03:05 PM
Mike, The best system I have is when my feet start to get wet or the dogs head for higher ground--then I know to shut off the water. In Asia toilet floats are often used and the hose is hooked up to a manifold of sorts dispersing the water to the various tanks. The float will then shut off the water supply to each filled tank simultaneously. Looks like hell but it works.

Time to start the ACA push--Mike. Get the thread going and maybe Randy can be coerced into posting last years pics to gain either interest or for those to see the disturbed oddities that frequent these conventions. Joe ;D

Mike_T
01-29-2003, 06:09 PM
Sounds like a plan, O' great bearded one. I was pushing for the circus tent this year, so we can just call a spade a spade, but the higher-ups opted for a more professional look. I am, however, officially declaring Friday night Barrel House night. Best microbrews in town. Whether your into Stouts, Pale Ales, or Red Lagers this place has the best in town. The seasonal(summer)Honeysuckle Blonde is my favorite beer to date. They'll even fill up your half gallon jugs for folks on the go, so dump out the RO and fill it with the good stuff...

I'm also tentatively trying to get a couple discus guys to let us stop out and see their fish rooms, maybe on a wednsday or thursday night.

Mike 8)

01-29-2003, 07:48 PM
Mike you start the thread and I will start working on downsizing the pictures we took last year in Atlanta. I think I even have a picture of you I can slip in there!! ;)
Tracey

01-29-2003, 10:31 PM
Mike I beat you to the ACA thread....I started the ACA2003 thread and attached last years ACA2002 thread to it. I was right there is a picture of you! (at least I think its you!)

Tracey