PDA

View Full Version : dissolves in water

Torben
01-29-2003, 06:39 PM
Hi,

I have just been talking to a former vet, who had been recently in contact with a firm producing panacur (fenbendazole). They told him that fenbendazole does not dissolve in water.

Because og this he also told me that flubendazole does not dissolve in water either, since these two products are closely related. Does anyone know for sure if this is true?

Which other possibilities do I have to treat for worms? Is droncit any useful, an if so, what should the doses be?

Thank you!

Torben

Francisco_Borrero
01-29-2003, 08:50 PM
In my experience, if you are talking about flatworms (Cestoda), then Praziquantel (Droncit) is the drug of choice. It also works for gill flukes, but then nothing works completely for them.
If you are talking roundworms (Nematoda, i.e., Capillaria and others), then the drug of choice is Fenbendazole, also available from vets as Panacur. Panacur is best administered in food, as I believe it is not effective in the water. Whether it dissolves well or not, it doesn't matter.
Drugs for flatworms are not effective with roundworms and viceversa.
Lastly, I have never used flubendazole, but I have heard several times that is a dangerous drug (to the fish) if used improperly. Specifically, I have heard never to put it in the water. Whether it dissolves or not, I have no idea.

Hope this helps. Hopefully others can provide more cmplete information. Cheers, Francisco.

Torben
01-30-2003, 04:48 AM
Hi Fransisco,

As I recall I think I have read somewhere in another thread that it is fenbendazole which is dangerous to fish and flubendazole which are save. Is this information incorrect?

Do you also know why the two drugs you mention does not work on flatworms and round worms respectively? I am asking because my vet told me that drugs to treat for worms is effective for most worms since the life mecanism is the same (although I know this is not true for dogs and cats).

Thanks,

Torben

01-30-2003, 06:53 PM
I use flubendazole alot I never had any problems with it!

I use1/4 teaspoon per 20 gals in the water.

I have treated over 2000 discus at one time without any ill effects.

Now prazi is another story! I seem to have more problems with it then fluebendazole.

hth
takecare,
cary gld!

Carol_Roberts
01-30-2003, 11:51 PM
Hi Cary:
When you use flubendazole which worms are you hoping to kill?

01-31-2003, 09:17 AM
Flukes ;D

lkleung007
01-31-2003, 10:04 AM
Hey Gang;

I have also used flubendazole for flukes and it worked well. It does not go into solution well but I usually mix the correct amount in RO water to get as much into solution as possible and pour into the tank. My Discus showed no ill effects at all.

HTH, Lester

RichieE
01-31-2003, 11:21 AM
Cary, When you use flubendazole at the above doseage are you getting any round worms too? Rich

brewmaster15
01-31-2003, 11:45 AM
Flubendazole as we all buy it here is a 5% mix, which means the bulk of what you see is an inert carrier. It is described as soluable by its many of its manufacturers.. Chemaqua for instance. I believe that important 5 % is soluable and much of what you see in the powder that does not go into solution isn't the active part. I could be wrong here though.

One thing I do know is Fenbendazole is closely related to Flubendazole but it much more potent. It should only be added to food, not to the water. Flubendazole can be added to water safely in most cases. Adding Fenbendazole directly to the water is a very bad idea.

hth,
Al