PDA

View Full Version : Father behavior...Just to make sure

Gnome
01-30-2003, 07:49 AM
My pair have spwned before in the planted tank, I'm a novice about breeding discus, on the previous spawn once the egg is hacthed the male is always pick up the wriggles and keep it in his mouth and sometime he spit the wriggles out( it is still alive, wriggling) and suck them again, and do it all over again...but too bad, he lost the fry between the gravels, what I want to ask, is this behavior normal? does it mean that he gives oxygen to the fry? Now my pair spawned for the second time for me (they already spawned twice before I bought them).
Gnome

Carol_Roberts
01-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Yes, it is normal for them to move the babies around. have you gotten rid of your gravel yet?

Gnome
01-30-2003, 05:54 PM
Yes, it is normal for them to move the babies around. have you gotten rid of your gravel yet?

Carol,
I removed them to 15 gal bbt, cause the planted 29g tank is already planted nicely. here's the setup, http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=6462
and I remove the CO2, the ph goes up to 7.6-7.4, I can't get the exact reading, coz my ph tetser doesn't have reading exactly to 7.5 ( I get the reading from AP ph tester, w/ ph high range tester, I got the lowest reading which is 7.4 and w/ the low range ph tester, I got the highest reading, 7.6). the female only lay about 100-150 eggs, is this because she's still young? she's about 5"-5.5" and almost a year old, do you know how to make her to lay more eggs?
Thanks.
Gnome.

Carol_Roberts
01-31-2003, 12:03 AM
Nope, I don't know how to make them lay more eggs. If they all hatch you will have your hands full.