PDA

View Full Version : Lansing, Michigan Tap Water?

Gnome
01-30-2003, 01:26 PM
Does anybody know if Lansing, Michigan water has chloramines or chlorine. I always use some aquasafe to treat water.
Can any one give me the specifics on the water.
Thanks.
Gnome

RAWesolowski
01-30-2003, 02:17 PM
Gnome,

Go to your city website and look under the water utility section. The Kalamazoo water utility does a very good job of keeping theirs up-to-date. It sghould give ranges for minerals as well as additives to the water.

spartyblaze
01-31-2003, 06:10 PM
Gnome:
I have kept fish in East Lansing for the last 3 1/2 years, always using straight tap water w/ 1ml of SeaChem Prime per 10g change. I am a discus newbie and have done daily changes w/my discus for about two months now and haven't noticed any problems with any chloramine or chlorine(I age/aerate my water for an average of about 6hrs, just to mix the prime, etc.) I'm not sure if this water quality carries true for the Lansing, but I live in the Frandor Area, so it's pretty close to the border.

I hope this helps
Blaze.

PS - Where do you buy your fish from? I know there's a local Lansing-Based breeder (via a source at Preuss Animal House) but I can't seem to find him. I just can't justify paying 69.95 for pigeon spotted discus like they usually sell there.

Gnome
01-31-2003, 08:59 PM
Gnome:
I have kept fish in East Lansing for the last 3 1/2 years, always using straight tap water w/ 1ml of SeaChem Prime per 10g change. I am a discus newbie and have done daily changes w/my discus for about two months now and haven't noticed any problems with any chloramine or chlorine(I age/aerate my water for an average of about 6hrs, just to mix the prime, etc.) I'm not sure if this water quality carries true for the Lansing, but I live in the Frandor Area, so it's pretty close to the border.

I hope this helps
Blaze.

PS - Where do you buy your fish from? I know there's a local Lansing-Based breeder (via a source at Preuss Animal House) but I can't seem to find him. I just can't justify paying 69.95 for pigeon spotted discus like they usually sell there.

Hi fellow Spartan :)
I'm glad to find that there is a discus/aqua hobbyist here in east lansing.
the reason I asked for lansing is I'm afraid of that they might not have the site or even heard of east lansing, since it is quite small town ;) no offense, I do like East Lansing :)
I just started to like this hobby last summer, I usually keep fish back at my home country, but never really paid attention to water quality, that's why I never did success in keeping fish haha, well I guees now water is not just water, water is a whole new world!

I Kept cardinal tetras, a pair of german blue ram, siamese algae eater, and other different tetras ( ember tetra, black neon, & gold tetra) in my 29 gallon planted tank, well usually I use straight tap water w/ tetra aquasafe from meijer, I never age the water, the reason I don't use seachem prime is they removed ammonia completely, and I guess that will harm the starve the good bacteria, and until I keep discus I have to age the water at least 6 hours, well this is the hard part since I don't have big container for the water ( I only use two buckets to age the water) and now since I try to breed discus,
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=6462
it really gives me a hard time, I Wonder if meijer or other store is selling a container, say a 30 gallon container would be just right not to big, not too small that I can hide it on my closet since I live in apartement, I live in northwind drive.
anyways, Thanks for the reply, I got my discus from discman at aquabid, I got it for 160 bucks for a pair, I gues that's pretty much cheap since it is proven breeding pair, they spawned after 2 weeks in my planted tank, and about seven days later they spawned again in my 15g bbt, isn't that cool!

I buy my fish from aquabid, Petland, and preuss.
I like preuss cause they have the most complete fish collection and gadgets in lansing, you said there is a local lansing discus breeder?where??
wow a 69.95 for a spotted pigeon blood? how big is it? cause last time, it was december and I went there, they sell all 3.5-4" discus for 39.99! what is your discus strain? and where did you buy it?
Gnome.

PS: nice nick...GO STATE!