PDA

View Full Version : deformity question

Nate
01-30-2003, 07:04 PM
Can parrot beaks be caused in discus, or is it a genetic deformity from birth?

Nate

fossil
01-30-2003, 09:21 PM
I would guess it is a genetic deformity. Do not know for sure maybe a breeder would know.

fossil
01-30-2003, 09:23 PM
--- maybe try posting in the "breeding discus" section.

*hth

saints27
01-30-2003, 10:31 PM
I have heard that it can be formed in fry by having to strong a current in the tank,As I said it is something I have been told and I have no evidence to prove it .

Jamie

Nate
01-31-2003, 06:03 PM
Thank you Jamie and Fossil. I appreciate your feedback. With all of the big dogs around here I'm kind of surprised that this is all of the response I got. It's a pretty straight forward question with a short answer.

Nate

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-31-2003, 06:24 PM
Nate
Parrot beak shape can be caused both by genes, or the envirement.
Dennis

fcdiscus
01-31-2003, 06:26 PM
More likely, it is from heredity! JMO! Frank :)

allan_mark76
01-31-2003, 06:35 PM
Can somebody please post a picture of what a parrot beak looks like in discus??? I'm at a loss as to what to look for.

Thanks.

A- :o

01-31-2003, 07:03 PM
Parrot beaks/Roman Nose can be caused by a number of things. I don't doubt that it can be caused from poor genetics. But more often them not the Leading cause, most of the time, has to do with the general care the fish receives. Most of the "structure" of a discus is cartilage which is directly affected by the nutrition it receives.

IMO Nutrition, General Care, and Sickness is the leading causes. Some young fish can develop this due to the lack of food caused from aggression with its siblings. Older fish toward the end of there life display this when they begin to start going down hill.

I have seen "perfect" discus develop a roman nose... and even shrink in size after a serious sickness. More often then not they will never fully recover or return to the once perfect shape even when healthy again.

HTH,

Mike

April
01-31-2003, 10:21 PM
I had very nice healthy leopards....and when they alll got a virus....and i medicated heavily with salt and antibiotics....they all developed an indentation and beakish look after being sick. i think its from losing weight and also maybe from heavy meds. they did get their shape back when they were back eating and filled out again.
ive seen it in most of the fish who had to be medicated and were quite sick.
so i have no doubt it is caused by illness and weight loss

02-01-2003, 07:45 AM
Weaken cartilages on the bridge of the nose dissolve with malnutrition. Adding calcium in their diet sometimes can rebuild the dissolved cartilages that formed parrot beak and repair saw tooth fins. The same diet given to discus fry at 1” can build a round body shape from a football parents. Just my own observation.
Jimmy