PDA

View Full Version : Leaving pairs in community tank???

DISCUSDADDYSLC
01-30-2003, 11:31 PM
I have two pairs in the one 75 Gal. at each end laying eggs. How long should i keep them in there to try not to have egg eaters? Do you leave them in with others to learn to protect and be good parents? Just wondering and looking for insight. TIa DDSLC

jeep
01-31-2003, 09:51 AM
A lot of people say to leave them in a community tank until they produce live fry. That way you know you have a true pair.

I moved what I thought was a pair and now all I have is an egg eater...

DISCUSDADDYSLC
01-31-2003, 10:15 AM
Me too they love to eat them. SAY NO TO CAVEEERRRR >:( >:( >:( :P

01-31-2003, 10:32 AM
Hi DD.....

I have a pair in a community 150gal with wigglers on the cone due to attatch "hopefully" today... I'm pretty sure that this is spawn #6.... they had wigglers the first try ;)

I chose to leave them in the 150 until the fry attatch.... I put an egg crate divider in, to seperate them from the rest of the Discus after the 3rd or 4th spawn..... I'm hoping this teaches them to be a more protective pair for future spawns. They're not real happy when the other Discus get too close to that egg crate divider ;)

I believe the next spawn they'll be in their own tank ;D

JME

Beth

keno
01-31-2003, 11:22 AM
I have a pair with that I posted pics of a few weeks back in a 225 community tank. The have their second batch of free swimmers and it gets really hard to see them slowly disappear day after day from Mom's back. But right now I do not want to breed these two.

I do get a little worried about the Mom, she has been laying eggs now for a long time months and has lost some weight as her attention is now shifted to spawning instead of eating. I would have thought after 4 months she would be tired of this but she keeps getting babies on her back. ??? ???

Ken

DISCUSDADDYSLC
02-01-2003, 12:48 AM
Thank you Beth & Ken any insight into what can be done is music to my ear's and eye's since i am reading this :wasntme: Here they go again they are putting a hurt on some of the others in there. Thanx toogan DDSLC