PDA

View Full Version : wormwood as a dewormer??

flogger426
01-31-2003, 12:14 AM
has anyone tried the herb wormwood in your food for deworming?

from what i understand it is much more effective than garlic for deworming in humans.

many times both garlic and wormwood are used in conjunction in holistic medicine - with wormwood being the number one herb in the mix. I know for a fact it works in humans with no side effects - don't know if it would have an adverse effect on discus though. FWIW

flogger

Ralph
01-31-2003, 08:10 AM
Wormwood is an excellent anthelmintic for humans and about the worst tasting stuff I've ever had.
I worked at an herb store and the local zoo staff were frequent visitors. But I think it was mostly mammals that they used the herbs on. The herbal tradition is based on how these plants affect humans and the further away that you get from humans, the less applicable the herbs are going to be. But it may be worth looking into (I would use it on some guppies first though). The nice thing about herbs is that they encourage the body to take care of itself and often have no side effects at all. The wormwood, for example, doesn't hurt the good fauna in the intestines like the mass killoff that you get with antibiotics.