PDA

View Full Version : How do u prepare water for wild discus?

beta
01-31-2003, 01:53 AM
How do u prepare water for wild discus?
Can u use Peat to soften the water?

01-31-2003, 08:53 AM
beta,

Both my wilds are in straight up tap. The only preparation I do, is adding Prime (thanks Joe) when overnight aging isn't possible. Ph is roughly 7.8 The only time the PH is lowered is when I want the female to spawn, at that point I slowly perform w/c's to add 80% RO. After the fry are fs, I then slowly add straight tap to my w/c regimen.

I am anxious to hear from the experts tho..

Julz :)

Francisco_Borrero
01-31-2003, 10:03 AM
I am not one of the experts. I have 19 adult wilds, though am not breeding at this time. They are healthy and happy.
I use straight tap water, treated with Prime (my town blesses me with chloramines), aged 24h, and I run a internal Fluval filled with standard gardening peat in the aging bins. My pH after aging is somewhere between 7.0-7.4 (changes seasonally) and fairly soft. The peat lowers the pH a little bit, softens a little bit, but the reason I use it is that the fish seem to like it and appear more vibrant.
Hope this helps. Cheers, Francisco.

01-31-2003, 10:24 AM
Oh Francisco quit being so coy. :P lol

Thanks for your imput. Your wild expertise is ten-fold mine....

:)

PS.... I hate Fluvals... ;D (sorry, jme w/them)

Francisco_Borrero
01-31-2003, 12:46 PM
Thanks Julz !!
I hate Fluvals too, but this is different (and came for nearly free in a box of various filters I bought at a garage sale!!). It is an INTERNAL Fluval. So no priming or taking apart, no hoses, no nothing. I fill my mesh bag of peat, put in in, walk away. Beautiful.
Cheers, Francisco.

01-31-2003, 01:02 PM
OK.... I'll bite...... show me pics!... this I gotta see. :P

Julz + Fluval name = sheer hatred.... :-\