PDA

View Full Version : Nitrifiers and Temp?

edgeguy
01-31-2003, 10:01 AM
I have read recently that Nitrifying bacteria prefers a temp range of 65-85 degrees Fahrenheit. If you set up your Discus tank temp at 87-90 are you not on the verge of having this bacteria die and thus your fish die?

Also, it has been a long time since I have monitored a tank what levels should I be looking at? I know there should be no ammonia or nitrite, but what should the levels be for nitrate, gh, and kh? :inquisitive:

ronrca
01-31-2003, 03:35 PM
I believe that bacteria will start dying at around 96F or higher! WHen the temp is higher than 86F, the bacteria get lazy and not as productive (similar to myself when it gets hot 8) ).

The levels in your tank ideally should be
nitrates - 0
gh/kh - whatever values your holding water is at (or tap water) that your using to do water changes! Different if you are breeding though!

edgeguy
01-31-2003, 05:46 PM
The levels in your tank ideally should be
nitrates - 0

Shouldn't you be reading some nitrates or then it would seem to me that your system is about to go? ???

Carol_Roberts
01-31-2003, 10:44 PM
Your filters work on how much ammonia is produced by your fish. NitrAte is just the end product. I like to keep nitrAtes very low. The lowest reading on the chart is OK.

Math time - This is exagerated . . . . . If your fish load produces enough ammonia to equal 2.0 ppm nitrAte after 24 hours a 50% WC reduces it to 1. Then over the next 24 hour period a like amount of ammonia is produced and 2ppm + 1ppm = 3ppm nitrate. A 50% WC reduces it to 1.5 ppm, etc. It can accumlate over time. I have philodendron roots in my tanks to help suck up excess nitrate

You can have a heavy fishload and filters full of good bacteria, but still show a small amount of nitrate if you do big water changes and have philodendron roots in your tank.

edgeguy
02-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the clarification carol. I will keep that in mind when I am testing my water. Just thinking is there a top range for nitrate levels for discus (ie under 10)?

ronrca
02-03-2003, 03:40 PM
Sorry edgeguy to confuse you! I meant that ideally, nitrates should be 0 however, as Carol explained, usually does not happen unless you have plants soaking it up or massive water changes. Nitrates should be kept as low as possible. ;)