PDA

View Full Version : transition from eggs to fry

jesser
01-31-2003, 10:56 AM
okay guys,
i am barely on my first 24 hours and looking good with my eggs . i put methylene blue . now my question is how long is the hatching process and when do i start to takethe blue out, and when i do if i should put some formalin in for the fry,because from my understanding, blue takes away the slime for the fry to feed. another question is do i try and alter the hardness while they are in the tank with the parents or wait for the growout tank? or do i even bother? one more question is if they spawn again while they have fry do i remove the fry or remove the ggs, or just leave them???

grrrr8guy
01-31-2003, 11:04 AM
Congrats , well hafta copare notes I used maroxy , I had one white egg so far and they have cleaned it off , Im hopeing this is an indication they turn out to be good parents.

Mine spawned on a puky green coloured ceramic pot I bought at Canadian tire. the thing about this colour is the eggs are very visable and look to be a dark gloden coulour they rmind be a bit of rezin ive seen in the past.

grrr8guy

larry lob
01-31-2003, 11:10 AM
Hi Jesser,

In my experiance, methain blue is only active for 3 days so the slime coat will be ok and if you want you can run carbon to get it out, as to formuline i have never found the need to bother.

the eggs should hatch in 48 - 60 hours and then the wrigglers are normaly moved to another site in the tank, they then need another 2 - 3 days to become free. so with a total of 6 - 7 days from being layed they will free swim and look to attach, so there you see how imo methain blue doesn't matter only been active for 3 days.
They shouldn't spawn again if they have 25+ free swimming attached babies so there is noo need to worry right now. i start hardening my water with every water change after they become free and attached, slowly so not to over stress the parents.
MY best advice to you is do your water changes, feed the parents, leave a low light on 24/7 and sit back and enjoy. you will do more damage messing around with them then if you left the house for a week.

HTH

Larry

jesser
01-31-2003, 11:21 AM
thanks larry,
ill dothat i am a strong beleiver of that philosophy.

jesser
01-31-2003, 08:28 PM
so much for the hype they ate the eggs :'(, i guess after the fertilization if i am able to seeit if not after a few hours i will put a screen on. i guess next time.