PDA

View Full Version : Size & sex

SnowCichlid
02-02-2003, 04:01 PM
hey guys I have read an article that contributes plenty of information regarding cichlids in general and their genders. It is proven that sex dosnt determine size, but rather size determines sex. Cichlids do not develop what sex they are until about 6 months after birth and how big they are in comparion to the other fish is generally what affects the sex.

Some other factors are that with more acidic water you will have more males in the fry. Another factor is temperature. If the water is warmer you will tend to have more males. And vise Versa for opposite conditions will provide more females.

Just thought I should share this info with you, Does any one have any comments on this or maybe state weather or not this would work with discus as well ... It has not been yet tested on too many different types of cichllids yet ... some of the major test where from the Midas cichlid amongsts many others.

jeep
02-16-2003, 04:40 AM
I started with 4 discus and raised them at 82 degrees. 2 ended up males and 2 ended up females.

The males are by far larger than the females.

50%???

jake
04-19-2003, 02:26 AM
2 points:

your first two paragraphs seem to contradict one another,

but, I have raised a LOT of browns and a few cobalts, plus probably tons of angels, and have had huge males and huge females at six months, in the same spawns, I think with angels that generally the larger ones at six months tend to be females, but have had this contradicted too many times when watching young pairs to call it a rule, some female angels have fuller heads then young males which 'tend' to have dishscooped faces, but again, its not absolute,

the best way is to wait and see who does what at spawning, the ovipositer is more stubby and larger then the males organ which is smaller and more conical ended,

I have noted in angels that temps during incubating could skew sex ratios a bit, havnt noted any ph variations but have tried not to have any ph variations.