PDA

View Full Version : What pump do you use?

jeep
02-02-2003, 06:06 PM
I'm interested in a low cost W/C pump. Something small and probably submersible (in-line is fine if cost is not too high). I need to pump approx. 40 gallons daily about a distance of 18' and about 5' high.

I've seen people talk about using power heads. I've also seen the power heads with suction cups listed at Big Al's.

Can someone provide a manufacturer and item number and a personal rating (good or bad). Anything I should stay away from? This is temporary and I will be looking for a larger unit in the future.

Thanks

Brian

redlines
02-02-2003, 06:10 PM
I have been using a Crafsman pump from SEARS and it has been good just a bit noisy. I opted for the non submersible version.

Andy

gary1218
02-02-2003, 06:13 PM
Submersible pump from Sears. Wait for them to go on sale.

GARY

jeep
02-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the info. How powerful are these? Can you regulate the flow (maybe with an in-line ball valve) without damaging the pump? I don't want to blast the fish around. I guess I'm thinking about 5-10 gallons per minute.

Francisco_Borrero
02-02-2003, 07:03 PM
I use the largest ViaAqua available (strictly submersible), something like 1300gph and $56 mail order. While that may sound like a lot of power for only 40gal, by the time you factor-in the 18feet and the 5' head, it is not too fast. For me (about 25 feet distance, 4' head) it is taking about 20 minutes to put in 66gal in one of my tanks. I wish it would be faster.
I believe you can always divert some water off with a Y and a valve, so it is better to have too much pump than not enough. In my experience, failing to buy the large one has meant having to replace the little itsy bitsy one, thus more expense.
HTH. Cheers, Francisco.

02-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Here is what I use... It is a Cambell Hausfeld from Menards. An inline and a bit more spendy/somewhat loud but it fills the 75 (from 50%) in less than 3 mns. If you were to increase your output diameter the flow is less bothersome to the fish....

Here is a pic of the one I have in the drain line. Another is used strickly for filling...

Steve_Warner
02-02-2003, 07:33 PM
Hi all,
Brian, on the subject of limiting the output, I believe you can put a ball valve on the outflow end of a Centrifugal pump to control output, but NOT a mag-drive one. I'm not sure about that, but I think that on Little Giant's website that is what they state about the two kinds. Also, you are never supposed to restrict the intake of any pump, as this might starve it and burn it out. Anyone else with thoughts on this?

Steve

daninthesand
02-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Whats the model number? ;D

Is it self priming? Can you describe how you use it for draining your tanks? Is there a reservoir? Stuff like that...

Thanks.

Daniel

jeep
02-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Good info from everyone. I was aware of restricting the supply but not too sure about the out-put. With my limited space for tanks, I'll probably sacrifice gpm as long as I can do my tanks within about 30 - 40 minutes.

02-02-2003, 09:38 PM
Dan...

The Campbell is self priming. There is a reservoir that holds water and must not be allowed to run dry. They suggest using a supplied strainer but because I do not have sand or gravel in my tanks I opt not to use it. Basically I have 2 Y-hose connections on each end. The lower valves are for draining my tanks to the waste reserve and the upper valves are for pulling water from the reserve, and spraying the orchids. The valves are controlled with the black switches.

It is a 1/2 HP 115v 50/60 Hz AC using 8AMPS. The Model number is CHPC4 24606-001. Their Webpage is www.campbellhausfeld.com or can be contacted at 800-237-0987. They are also located in Harrison Ohio if interested.

HTH....
Julz :)

daninthesand
02-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Hi Julz.

Thanks a bunch. I will take a drive to Harrison tomorrow ;D