PDA

View Full Version : American Marine Ph Pinpoint Monitor

Barb Newell
02-02-2003, 06:17 PM
I picked up my ocean greens today. A Ph monitor came with them. They also gave me fluid to calibrate it. I've never used one of these before, when I put it in the water it jumps around quite a bit and never really locks into a ph. Is it supposed to do this? Also, do I mix the calibrating fluid with water when adjusting it?

I'd appreciate any info on these.

Thanks

Barb

Steve_Warner
02-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Hi all,
Barb, the fluid they gave you is the fluid to calibrate the probe in. Do not mix anything in with it and just put the probe into the fluid to calibrate. There should be a calibration button/mode to enter into on the meter to calibrate the meter. My meter has a "Cal" button, which is pushed before you go to calibrate the meter. The display will start blinking when this button is pressed signifying that the calibration mode has been activated. When the meter hits and holds the stated value on the particular fluid you have for it(4,7,10), you would then push another button(mine is the "Hold") to set the meter. You are then calibrated. HTH

Steve

02-02-2003, 07:58 PM
Barb, if the probe has been dry for a good length of time sorry to say it is most likely toast. That would cause your unstable readings. As Steve stated the fluid should be used without mixing anything with it.....Good luck I hope it works for you....................Randy

daninthesand
02-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Barb.

A small point, but an important one regarding calibration solutions (of any kind).

The calibration solution is the standard by which all other measurements with the device will be compared. If the calibration solution is tampered with, it will affect all other readings.

In other words, treat the calibration solution like gold (better still treat it like a spawn of fry from a pair of pure, wild heckels ;D). Keep the container it comes in airtight (keeps it from drying out and changing the concentration). Also if dipping any probe into the container make sure the probe is clean AND DRY. Adding water (even a small amount) will affect the calibration solution.

Just be careful. Otherwise your meter wll be innacurate if you use a bad calibration solution.

Daniel

black rat
02-05-2003, 12:16 PM
B Newell
i have the same monitor,you should have 2 sachets of calibration fluid,one for ph 7 and one other of either ph 4 or 10,doesn't matter which.
1st bung the probe in ph7 sachet and turn the screw shown by No7 until ph7 is displayed.
Then do the same with the other sachet be it Ph 4 or Ph10 and adjust the appropriate screw til that ph is displayed.
Having done that rinse the probe and put it back into the ph 7 sachet and ph7 should be displayed-if not adjust it.
Do the same with the other sachet etc,etc.
Keep doing this til no adjustments are required and when you put the probe in ph 7 sachet ph7 is displayed,put the probe in ph4/10 sachet ph 4/10 is displayed.
Sounds a pain but doesn't take long. ;D