PDA

View Full Version : Metro in liquid form

BlueTurquoise
02-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Hey guys,

I was chatting to a Doctor friend and he said that Flagyl (Aussie brand name for metro) can be purchased as a liquid! :o He said he was pretty sure it was close to 100% metro just in liquid form (the other % that is not metro I would imagine is water or something).

Anyone heard of this? I thought it was a revelation for aquarists! imagine that, pre deissolved metro! LOL

Chong

Ardan
02-03-2003, 07:13 AM
Metro ususally breaks down and looses its effectiveness in water over a short period of time (depends on temp).
So I don't know for certain, but I have only read that flagyl comes in tablet form.
hth

lion
02-03-2003, 07:26 AM
Hi Chong. I've used Flagyl. It is very expensive in RSA. The other % is glucose.

BlueTurquoise
02-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Ardan I know about that too, but apparently it is a product that is actually flagyl (metro) in liquid form. I would say that it will not break down as a product on it's own would it?

Lion, is it liquid form or tablet? I can get the tablets no problems I just wanted to know about the liquid form. Doesthe glucose inhibit the breakdown of metro?? or is that a component? ???

Chong

lion
02-04-2003, 03:02 AM
Chong it is in liquid form for human consumpsion. The glucose (suger) is to better the taste. It works fine for discus but you got to do major w/c because the glucose helps with the growth of algy.

BlueTurquoise
02-04-2003, 06:24 PM
Ahh i see! thanks for that! that is very good info and warning!

Chong

brewmaster15
02-05-2003, 10:37 AM
The liquid form is also for use in Humans... by IV, as it this med is used to treat a few very serious anaerobic bacteria infections in humans.

Ironically to date it has saved my wifes life 2 years ago, and my Dads life 2 months ago!

-al

Aditya
02-05-2003, 11:43 AM
The metro used in the IV form has to have a little bit of salt in it(to match it to the tonicity of human blood)I guess it would also contain a preservative to prevent fungal growth in the package....what effect these two parameters would have on the aquarium..my guess is as good as yours!!
In the mean time,what effect does metro have on the bio filter?(wont it kill the bacteria in the filter too?)or if i use a hospital tank,then the spores of the hexamita flagellates would still remain in the main tank to reinfect the treated fish...
I had the same doubt about the use of formalin in treating gill flukes.What dosage do I use and what effect does it have on the biofilter?Thank you for your reply!!!

brewmaster15
02-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Metro should have no adverse effect on the biofilter bacteria. Its antibiotic properties are only on a small number of anaerobic (non-oxygen requiring bacteria). Your biofilters bacteria is aerobic (requiring oxygen).

hth,
al

ps formalin can affect the biofilter, but at the dose used commonly , it doesn't usually have too much of an effect

arpanlib
02-05-2003, 12:11 PM
this is not the post regarding this topic, but i need to get in touch with my indian friends.

hey aditya,
please add me to your yahoo ID.
also look at ur personal messages.

arpanlib

arpanlib
02-05-2003, 12:17 PM
formalin is used normally at 2 drops per 4 litres.

the use of formalin or any chemiacls is a last resort for me. but it has to be dosed very carefully. i.e. it has to be dosed with extra aeration and the drops differ if the hardness of the water differs.

i have used at 3 drops per 4 litres with TDS 750 mg/l

hope this helps.

arpanlib

Aditya
02-07-2003, 12:40 PM
A thousand thanks to brewmaster....that lifts off an enormous amount of tension in my mind.
By the way I checked up the IV metro stuff...Its components would be metronidazole in the hydrochloride form,dissolved in 0.9%sodium chloride(salt)I dont think that should be a prob as the metro is in a concentration of 5 mg/ml.....your comments please
Hi arpan...hope you recieved my mail.Please let all those on Simplydiscus know how jealous we are of them for the strains of discus that are available to them!!GUYS ....HELP US FELLOW DISCUS LOVERS GET OUR HANDS ON THOSE FLAT ROUND BEAUTIES!! :D