PDA

View Full Version : Would you let these Breed

taybelZ
02-02-2003, 09:47 PM
Hi guys,
haven't posted much lately.. but i want to know your opinions on weather or not if you owned these fish you would let them breed.
One of them is a female Alenquer and the other one is Snakeskin.
They currently have babies on them, 3 days old. But i'm now starting to think about the consequences of letting them breed.
Firstly the alenquer isn't an ideal breeder got funny looking fins, and it got broken bars.
Secondly, i'm uncertain of cross breeding an alenquer with a SS, it might result in funny looking babies and mess up the genetics. (Anyone know the "expected" results)

But then i'm curious, and just want to experiment and see what happens.

What you do, if you were in my case?
Should i split them up and find the female another partner?

taybelZ
02-02-2003, 09:51 PM
Y i can't help crossing them over... i love my ss and would like to see its babies.

High fins, funny looking shape.. i dunno maybe should of been culled by its breeder... :-\

Liz_Streithorst
02-02-2003, 10:04 PM
If you don't want to breed them, then send them to me and I will. To me those are 2 real nice looking fish. Personally, I wouldn't sweat the bars.

Liz (relative newbie)

Tyler
02-02-2003, 10:07 PM
I like 'em David.....I don't see how it could hurt to give it a try.

Tyler

ps Take pics of the fry for us!

paulmat
02-02-2003, 10:09 PM
David

Let them breed ;D ;D ;D ;D
You have a good chance at some nice looking babies ;)

Paul :guitarist:

SNap0283
02-02-2003, 10:09 PM
Beautiful ss! Im certainly not an expert but I say, if they have some fry attached grow them out and see what happens. If no one wants them send them all to me :D but im sure others wouldnt mind a bent bar, if its even genetic? Maybe one of the breeders will be able to answer that? Hope it all works out!!! Keep us informed.

Chris-C
02-03-2003, 07:44 PM
I agree let them breed, ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
you could always do some culling if you had to :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Chris

BlueTurquoise
02-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Taybelz,

Where did you get them from? I am trying to get a hold of Alenquers myself.

Geez I would not even bother to keep them, just send them to me and I will deal with them for you! :P ;D

Chong

Carol_Roberts
02-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Why don't you let those little guys swimming around the parents grow out and then make your decision? I bet they look pretty good.

taybelZ
02-03-2003, 09:37 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments guys ;D :), the reason why i'm not sure about letting them breed is because of "crossing of genes?" but yer i'll probaly let them grow up and get some colour and see what the results will be like before i decide wheather or not i should let them breed again.

If any breeders out there, have breed a Alenquer and SS together can you please post on your results?

Chong I got them from a mate down in Geelong... Neil.
Doesn't anyone in Sydney breed Alenquers? i'm sure there is someone with some going.

I'll post some more pictures of the babies as they grow up..

ps... seems my webhost doesn't allow for much traffic... i'll upload the pictures.

taybelZ
02-03-2003, 09:39 PM
more.

taybelZ
02-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Snakeskin

Tyler
02-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Awesome pics david......
About crossing genes....how do you think they came up with all these new strains in the first place??? Crossing!!!
I say go for it, and have fun.

Tyler

taybelZ
02-03-2003, 10:06 PM
Arh yes thats true, but them guys had 1/2 an idea what they were doing. Whereas' i have no clue lol.. but don't u think the alenquer has a high/warped fin?

fishfarm
02-04-2003, 10:16 AM
David, I see nothing wrong with those fish, You don't know the genectics of the parents so there is no telling what the fry will look like until you grow them out. I like the female fish, She looks to me, to already have some domestic blood, Wild fish are not that tall and don't have that much striations in the face. You could turn out with some real nice red snakes from them. I expect you will get at least 3-4 different types, maybe more. Ken

korbi_doc
02-04-2003, 12:26 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: I agree with them, nice fish, could produce nicer fish. You just need to let'm be & think of it as "progeny testing" which is a very useful tool to determine the attributes of the parents. If not satisfactory down the road, just don't repeat that particular cross & carry on. BTW luv the SS, JMO, Dottie ;D ;D

02-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Yes, let this pair breed. Very good looking pair. You will love the fine line red snakes that you'll get, althoug not all will be fine line and most will look red brown and in between.

Dottie,
Great analysis and advise. In my book, you are getting better and better. Take care.

02-04-2003, 01:46 PM
David,
Very nice pictures! To be honest I have no idea what the cross would turn out to be like, but I sure would give it a try and see what happens. Maybe Cary or Mike can tell you what the cross will be like.

Good Luck
Miles :)

02-04-2003, 01:57 PM
That is a beautiful pair of fish. My money says that the babies will turn out to be really nice. With two fish that beautiful, your bound to have at least SOME nice offspring. Congratulations on your success so far. :) :)

arpanlib
02-04-2003, 02:22 PM
beautiful pair........ let them go ahead.

best of luck.

arpanlib