View Full Version : overview of over 140 discus strains with pics

grrrr8guy
02-05-2003, 01:40 AM
here it is

http://www.xs4all.nl/~fvdhart/english/eindex.htm

grrr8guy

Fish_Fin-atic
02-05-2003, 09:26 PM
??? ??? Maybe it's just me...but WHAT DISCUS?? ??? ???

Ryan
02-05-2003, 09:48 PM
Try this link:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~hlc/fons/strains/pictures.htm

jklnbrg
02-06-2003, 12:17 AM
??? ??? Maybe it's just me...but WHAT DISCUS?? ??? ???

Worked for me. You have to copy and paste the entire link. Don't just click on it.

John

grrrr8guy
02-06-2003, 12:45 AM
sorry I must have screwed up on that one some how

grrrguy

flogger426
02-06-2003, 11:34 PM
140 strains? i don't think so. it's a crying shame how people (many on this board) fling around fancy names to discus that do not breed true. you can probably narrow that list down to about 10 different strains that breed true.

grrrr8guy
02-07-2003, 12:18 AM
I was wondering about that!! Im amazed these days at the new strains I had no idea of until I started paying attention Im still finding new ones , but 140?

grrr8guy

grrrr8guy
02-07-2003, 12:19 AM
Just out of curiosity what strains breed true?

grrr8guy

Ryan
02-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Very few strains breed true IMO because of the way genetics work. Many "strains" have been inbred/linebred/backbred/roundbred (okay, that's exaggerating, but you see my point) for certain characteristics and qualities and so you end up with a large mix of genetics.

What that website lists as "strains" would be more appropriately titled "varieties," because that is what they are.

Ryan

grrrr8guy
02-07-2003, 03:03 AM
I see thanks for the info , like my angels which are nice long finned angels but heinz 57s none the less.

That makes them a variety and not a strain.

I betcha you can get some gorgeous discus though that are varieties.

I guess you just dont know what you will get if you spawn them.

grrr8guy

02-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Grrrr8guy....

Angelfish genetics are nothing like Discus genetics......

Angelfish are predictable as long as you know the genetics of your breeding pair ;)

grrrr8guy
02-07-2003, 02:19 PM
I have two pair of long finned angels , 1 pair the male is gold and the female is patchy silver and black.

The other pair the male is black and silver striped and the female is looks the same as the other female only her tail fin bends and flows down where the first females is like a long veil but straight out,

Both Males have the long flowing tail turning down.

Both air throw off about 40 percent golds some patchy ones and striped and it has been that way since the first spawn in june.

I know next to nothing about genetics as have never really cared enough about it to study it (that is changing).

I am always fastinated when someone talks about recessive genes, or cloning , multiple births , Hitlers crazy scheme , and have followed some general stories on dog breeding , like the guy who started the doberman strain and died with the recipie.

How though can discus genetics be so different than angels other than the dna itself?

grrr8guy

By the way I sign with 3 rs because that is how my name is everywhere else , I made that name on here before but change providers and couldnt remember the password lol.

just didnt want people to think I couldnt spell my own handle lol.