PDA

View Full Version : scraped off scales

grrrr8guy
02-05-2003, 09:55 AM
I am expecting eggs between now and monday.

I have an aquaclear 200 on the 25 gallon tank they are in and usually run it with a prefilter sponge on the intake stem.

I took the sponge off for optimal removal until eggs go down but the female scraped herself on it and made two perfect 1 inch white lines on her side. it dosnt look too bad , scales are missing where the lines are though.

I added some maroxy to prevent infection.

My question is if they put eggs and then they hatch will she be ok if the babies try to feed off of her?

grrr8guy

02-05-2003, 10:06 AM
Hi Grrrrr8guy

IMO.... I wouldn't think you need that Maroxy for a preventative.... the best preventative would be plenty wcs and pristine water conditions ;)

As long as Discus are healthy they heal from scrapes pretty darn quick ;)

HTH
Beth

grrrr8guy
02-05-2003, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the response Beth , I was reading on here some people use maroxy to stop the eggs from fungusing so I figured it wouldnt hurt. Have you ever had something like this happen and then had the fry feed off the parents?

grrr8guy

02-05-2003, 12:41 PM
I agree with Beth ;)

You would be amazed... These fish can heal themselves. :o

Mike

grrrr8guy
02-05-2003, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the replies Beth and Mike , I asked the Question in the breeding section as well on another string I have running and nobody thinks its that big of deal so I will just continue on.

I dont think this round of eggs will hatch anyway as the conductivity in the tank is still 206.

Im bringing it down with water changes but I think they are going to drop eggs tonight or tomorrrow the way they are acting.
grrr8guy

02-06-2003, 12:59 AM
gr888guy, The fungus on eggs is not atrue fungus--and that type will only occur on dead cells. Joe ;)

grrrr8guy
02-06-2003, 01:10 AM
well they put down eggs after just six days from the last time.

I dont know what happened if they ate most of them or not but there are about a dozen there all good so far.

Is it possible as I was lowering the hardness it induced them to spawn too early?

oh well Ill check the situation tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who is responding.

grrr8guy