PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizers

ChienHsu
02-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Hi! I am interested in buying an UV sterilizer. Can anyone share the experience with me? Or which products I should/should not buy?

Thanks

Chien

black rat
02-05-2003, 02:58 PM
I got a 25w UV unit about 9 months ago and it's been great does seem to have reduced the problems that i periodically got befor . Remember though to change the bulb every 6 months. ;D

arpanlib
02-05-2003, 03:35 PM
hi,
as for the UV sters, i am against them.
why would one need a UVS when he performs the regular w/c 's and does everything perfectly ???

it also reduces the immunity of the fish. suppose u were to shift ur discus to a non UVS tank, he would be more suceptible to diseases, coz his resitant power has gone down.

think about it and if i am wrong any where, do correct me.

hope this helps.

arpanlib

02-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Just once I'd love to see some evidence that a UV sterilizer harms the fish's immunity system.

Dave

arpanlib
02-05-2003, 03:50 PM
did an experiment 5 years back.
for two year 4 discus were in 55 gallon with UVS. the other also had 4 fish, but no UVS.
the fish were shifted in the non UVS tank. after shifting the 3 fish of 4 died of a unknown cause in a month.

there were other discus in the tank who were there in without the UVS, which were not affected by anything and they did not die.

dont have pics, but u have to believe it. ;D

arpanlib

02-05-2003, 04:09 PM
That is commonly referred to as anecdotal evidence. As you say, they died of "unknown cause". You assume it was UV but you don't know. I had UV running on my tanks for the first year that I had them. Then I decided that it was not necessary and turned it off. None of my fish died. Does that prove that the UV did not harm their immunity? Nope. Neither your experience nor mine would be suitable as proof in the matter of UV and fish immunity systems.

Dave

RandalB
02-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Dave,
I had an almost identical experience with my Planted tank. I used a "Double Helix" 9W sterilizer for about 8 months until it sprung a leak and shorted out. The fish were fine and still are.

The company replaced the unit and I still have not gotten around to putting it back on yet. Excellent customer service.

HTH
RandalB

ChienHsu
02-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Hi! Randal:

I have heard the "double Helix" product. Do you need to clean it frequently?

Chien

RandalB
02-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Chien,
According to the instructions, You never have to. When I opened it to figure out why it wasn't working, there were no deposits on the inside at all. (Other than the 2" of water on the powersupply).

RandalB

ChienHsu
02-06-2003, 10:48 AM
Hi Randal:

Do you know how it got leak? Manufacture defect?

Thanks

Chien

RandalB
02-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Chien,
Don't know what happened, Probably too much pressure on my part from my setup.

RandalB

ChienHsu
02-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Randal:

When you purchased the UV sterilizer, do you also need to purchase the pipe, water pump, and others Or they came with a package?

Thanks

Chien

RandalB
02-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Chien,
It came with the tubing 24". I just "T"ed the ouput of my cannister filter and put it in line. It does not come with a powerhead to move water through it. The only thing I did not like was the fact that it is designed to hang on the back of the aquarium or sump and both connectors were cemented in position. It made it difficult to install on the cannister filter. I finally used large screw clamps and elbows to make it work.

RandalB