PDA

View Full Version : nematode infection, aka "roundworm??

alisonty
02-05-2003, 10:58 PM
my fish has (TONS!!!) red "fibers" coming out of the anus area. and i think it is nematode infection. i called my LSF and they suggested paragon, clout and Levacide (TM) = Levamisole Hydrochloride? any inputs? please? i am at my wits end. thank you

ali

Ardan
02-06-2003, 07:13 AM
I have not experienced that personally. However clout and fluke tabs are effective against many parasites.

I have used both, but they seemed very harsh and the fish stopped eating.

I have been told that at 1/2 strength those meds are easier on the fish and are still effective.

That is what I would try JMO
hth

Barb Newell
02-06-2003, 09:04 AM
Hi, if you can contact a veterinarian and get Tramisol which is levamisole. It's much better than the Disco-med that you get in the pet stores. It comes in big yellow oblets.

Dose 1 3/4 oblets (230mg/10 gals) for 24 hours -- water change, wait 24 hours then redose. Do this 3 times. I've tried Clout, Fluke Tabs, Flubendazole, Panacur, formaldehyde, salt baths, unfortunately they were very harsh on the fish, weakened them and didn't help.
Tramisol is the only med that seems to work.

I'll IM you.

Barb

brewmaster15
02-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Hi,
that worm infection of yours sounds like callamanus....

read this article for some good info....

http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/CamellanusTreatment.pdf

as a check though, are you feeding bloodworms alot? sometimes these will pass undigested and look similar to what you are seeing.

hth,
al

alisonty
02-09-2003, 03:48 AM
thank you everyone. :) :) i will go to the nearest vet!! sad news, my only discus died today. he 'looked' ok (i am assuming he also had it) yesterday but now he is *gone*.... :'( poor thing. :'( well, no more fish for me until i am 100% sure the tank is free of these :bomb: WORMS!!! >:( >:(

ali