PDA

View Full Version : Do Discus hear the filter's noise

Joao
02-05-2003, 11:46 PM
I have one small fluval filter, the ones you just hang on the side of the tank, but makes too much noise, I don't know but the metal pin that is in the center of the water propeller, it falls every time I open to remove the dirty filter wool. That' why I use it to move the water surface and polish the water.
Does the filter vibrations afect the fish normal life? as well the noise from the motor??????

Thanks friends,

From Toronto ???

02-06-2003, 12:51 AM
Joao, more than the noise---they feel the vibration. So if it is noisy---then there is vibration. Joe ;)

Joao
02-06-2003, 01:02 AM
Thanks Joe.

So that means is no good keeping a filter inside the tank or something that makes noise, right.

They look ok to me, only get disturbed with the quick movements or when my sun is jumping ;D

So ,better to remove that filter?

Thanks.

02-06-2003, 01:59 AM
Jaoa, 99% of the time a noisy filter needs a new impeller. Joe

DarkDiscus
02-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Joao,

IMHO, fish get used to slight vibrations as from a constantly loud/vibrating filter. It's sudden or eratic vibrations that really stress them. For example, a while back Al (the Brewmaster) had a tank in which the fish would freak out every so often for no apparent reason. He figured out that the problem was due to vibrations from his water pump (or heater, I don't recall which) when it came on suddenly.

Your son jumping could be the cause of jumpy behaviour. There are also a bunch of other possible causes from bacterial problems in the water to shadows to illness. Like Joe said, see if changing the impeller on your filter makes any difference and then go from there.

John