PDA

View Full Version : Are these Male and Female?

AzDiscusGuy
02-06-2003, 12:33 AM
Is this suspected pair male and female. They seemed to have paired up so I put them in their own 29 gallon for 4 weeks now and still nothing. So I am wondering if they are possibly both male or both female.

AzDiscusGuy
02-06-2003, 12:34 AM
Heres the other one

shamsoo
02-06-2003, 05:11 AM
by looking them it looks like both are males, put one confirmed female with them and see what happens HTH

larry lob
02-06-2003, 09:47 AM
Hi,

Shamshoo i was thinking that the look like 2 males but i could never be so bold as to say so.
What made you think they are male? there is no sure fire way of knowing till they mate, i am curious how you came to that conclusion as they always prove me wrong.
i was thinking male because of the protruding lips on both, however they both have female skulls. i have no way of answering this question but my first thought is they look like boys.
i confused myself.

Good luck and no matter what they are both nice fish.

Larry

chirohorn
02-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Maybe they're living an 'alternative' lifestyle? :D

I've seen fish that look like males turn out to be females. The only way to know for sure is to check their breeding tubes when/if they do the deed. I think the female tube is thicker & more blunt. Good luck.

fishfarm
02-06-2003, 04:52 PM
The top fish looks very male, the bottom one could be female, shorter ventrals and less pronounced forhead. Be paitient, Sometimes it takes awhile. Ken

Dennis_Hardenburge
02-06-2003, 06:56 PM
They know what sex they are, we don't.

Francisco_Borrero
02-06-2003, 07:05 PM
I sure have no idea. The anal fin in the bottom fish is very pointy, some people find significancy on that.
Color wise, they are both very attractive. Shape wise the first one is a lot nicer.
Beautiful fish. Good luck. Francisco.

fcdiscus
02-06-2003, 07:12 PM
I would put them back in the community tank til you are sure. It is just about impossible to tell! Frank

shamsoo
02-07-2003, 02:35 AM
how I can say they are male, if you spent 18 hours a day in your fish room you will develop natural instinct , that's how I can say this is male and this is female, it works for me 70%

FredB
02-10-2003, 01:33 AM
Okay, same question for mine then, any help here:

http://freds-tanks.8m.com/discus

I'll try and get some better, closer pics up tomorrow. They're doing what I should be doing right now (and that's sleeping!).

Fred

daryl
02-10-2003, 03:07 PM
One thing that was not mentioned did they ever spawn? It looks like a pair , and if they showed spawning behavior before you pulled them it can take up to 3 months to get them to start acting like a pair again after they are pulled from their home tank..
thats my experience.
Daryl