PDA

View Full Version : algae away

arpanlib
02-06-2003, 01:57 AM
hi,
has anyone used the algae away stuff ???

i used it and had not affect, but my plants, riccia, stopped bubbling.
after a week i did w/c and then the riccia started bubbling again. and this has continued with the same bubbling now since 5 days. nothing was changes, and everything was the same except for no algae away now.

do u think that this products harm the growth of plants ???

do let me know what u all think.

arpanlib

ChloroPhil
02-06-2003, 10:50 AM
aparnlib,

I tried a similar product in a fit of desperation during my war with GW algae. The only result I found was my fish gasping at the surface. From that alone I'll never use a chemical algacide again. Chemical additives are no substitute for maintaining the health of your aquarium.

There's a lot of truth to the statement that algae can't outgrow healthy plants. I'm not convinced that higher plants actually outcompete algae for nutrients, but they can certainly outgrow them. Case in point, I've got a tank full of fast growing stemplants with little to no visible algae on the leaves. Then I look at my A. nana and see it covered with green spots.

I'm led to believe that healthy plants are the most effective anti-algae agent available for an aquarium. Keep your tank balanced and you'll beat the algae naturally.

Wahter
02-06-2003, 01:46 PM
arpanlib,

What type of algea are you trying to deal with? You might be able to 'combat' the algea with some algea eating fish or shrimp, etc...

Walter