PDA

View Full Version : Building a real fish room.

espitzer
02-06-2003, 09:56 AM
I've had fish rooms in the past and they've always been a bunch of odds and ends, with pumps all over the place, tanks on all kinds of stands, some home made, others bought, etc. You know the mess!

I'm looking at setting up a fish room in the house I recently moved into and I want to do it "right" this time. I'd like to have racks for the tanks, drill the tanks and have a central filtration system, have the tanks on a central air pump, etc. My problem is that I'm honestly not that mechanically inclined (I hate to admit it, but it's true) or knowledgeable of drilling tanks, installing PVC fittings, building racks that are sturdy, etc.

I've looked at all the DIY sites I could find and looked through the DIY on this site, but am not clear on going from pictures or some sketches to the real thing.

So, I'm wondering if there's people or reputable companies out there that do more than sell you the equipment but will actually work with you to do the drilling, installation, building, etc.? I'm aware of Jehmco and corresponded with John there but my understanding is that they don't actually install or build the fish room.

I've got a great space (about 20X15) in my basement that I'm looking to setup and stock with discus.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated. And, if there are any hobbyist on this board willing to help me out, we could talk about some type of compensation.

Thanks.

RichieE
02-06-2003, 10:59 AM
I would go to a local pet shop and tell the owner what your trying to do. Chances are he knows someone who might be willing to help. Its going to be a little expensive. The more you can do yourself the better. If you hook up with say a carpenter have him build you only one rack at first. See if its something you can duplicate. The shop owner can probally drill the tanks for you or order them in that way. Working with PVC is easy. Its also cheap so if you make a mistake just scrap it and start over. You can probally do more than you think. Good luck. Rich

RichieE
02-06-2003, 11:22 AM
Espitzer youve got mail.

Aquarius
02-06-2003, 01:17 PM
As someone else post on the forum a short time back, go to Aquaticeco.com
and get their free Fish Room catalog. Click on the link for the free catalog, then on the next page in the middle, click that link as well. I have received both catalogs and am amazed att eh stuff in them!

-steve

Fons_van_der_Hart
02-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Check out my website at www.discusashobby.com.
Under the chapter "hatchery" you'll find how I did my little hatchery...

Fons.

www.discusashobby.com
www.discus.pagina.nl
www.discus.info

ronrca
02-07-2003, 11:13 AM
espitzer,
Im actually in the process of putting together a fishroom! You are fortunate however since you a lot of the equipment already. Im starting from scratch. Smokey, also on simply, has been a tremendous help in explaining step by step how to proceed. PM me and I will be more than willing to help also!