PDA

View Full Version : live brine shrimp for disgestions

daddyg70
02-07-2003, 05:04 AM
A local breeder told me that he gives his discus live brine shrimp once a month to clear the digestive tract. Has anybody heard of this?

If this is true, what is the rationale behind it? For anybody out there that gives live brine shrimp for this purpose or any other purporse, what is the frequency? I understand that brine shrimp have little or no nutritional value.

Greg

02-07-2003, 09:47 AM
Hi Greg,

I have heard this to! But What are they Cleaning out?

I have been raiseing and breeding Discus for 16 years now and have never touched the stuff IMO its not needed.

I clean Mine out with beefheart and Fresh garlic!

HTH
Cary Gld!

Dennis_Hardenburge
02-07-2003, 10:38 AM
I feed frozen brine shrimp on a regular bases, I would use live if it were available, they like it and I think it is good roughage for them.
Is it nessecary no, my beefheart has every thing they need.
Dennis

RichieE
02-07-2003, 01:15 PM
Greg, a local breeder in my area feeds brine as a last meal each night. He feels that its better than letting beefheart sit in their gut overnight while they sleep. I follow this since I like to feed brine anyway. Probally not necessay as Cary and Dennis stated. Rich

keith_cny
02-07-2003, 01:27 PM
Cary,
Fresh garlic??? Do you cook it for them first??

Also, can i get a price list form you emailed to me??

Thanks,

Keith

daddyg70
02-07-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the replies! My discus eat primarily CBWs twice a day and hikari FBW in the AM. I feed them Wattley Discus formula 1 hour before 50% wc three times a week. I was wondering if I should add live brine shrimp into their diet or not. I have tried flake food and they just won't eat it! They prefer CBW over anything else. Should I get Wattley Discus Formula with Garlic? I heard Ocean Nutrition sells a formula with garlic. I don't have the time or energy to make my own beefheart mix.

Greg

fcdiscus
02-07-2003, 09:36 PM
Ocean Nut makes a community formula with garlic which my young take. I am going back to my own beefheart mix, and to that I will add fresh, uncooked garlic cloves. Frank

02-07-2003, 10:28 PM
Great post Everyone,

Rich I use BLKworms a night as a last feeding.

kieth NO! fresh raw Garlic chopped super duper Fine!
also List on the way!
TakeCare,
cary Gld!