PDA

View Full Version : Filter recomendation needed

dm
02-07-2003, 08:41 AM
I am in the process of buying a new 125 gallon tank and need to purchase the filters for it. I am at least smart enough not to buy the filters at the lfs as they cost about double what I can get them for online. I am thinking of maybe getting a couple old reliable AC500s but wanted recomendations from others first. This will be my show tank for the living room (not for Discus) :( but will free up my 55 that I have in there now for more Discus ;). Do you think a canister and one AC would be better? I have never owned a tank this large before so I'm not sure of the best way to go. Any suggestions?

keno
02-07-2003, 09:26 AM
I have a 120 with 2 emperor 400's running it and been that way for years. Others swear by the aquaclears, i think either are a match for your situation.
I think canisters are a real pain in the arse. BTW, what are you putting in the show tank? just curious

Ken

02-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Hello,
Am with Ken Lose the canisters there a big pain and hard to clean!
HTH
Cary Gld!

korbi_doc
02-07-2003, 09:55 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hi, recently set up a 125 in my LR. Have 4 sponge filters, 2 are rated for 80g, the other 2 are 40g & are there only for emergencies for other tanks. The main filter is a Lifeguard which I had from previous use & decided to use rather than buy a new one. It works well & I change/clean it once a month. Have an AC on my QT tank & it is great, so I'm sure 2 AC 500 would work well on your tank. I would add the sponge filters tho, an 80g for each back corner would afford good filtration. JMO, Dottie ;D ;D

Carol_Roberts
02-07-2003, 11:57 AM
I have two Aqua clear 500's on my 135 gallon in the living room filled (and I do mean filled) with Africans

Jason
02-07-2003, 12:41 PM
overflow and wet/dry :thumbsup:

samcatj
02-08-2003, 06:58 PM
I have a 125g with 10 discus. My filitration consists of two emperor 400's and one eheim 2028. Probably too much filitration but I am a believer in more filitration is better. The emperors are great, very easy to maintain. The eheim works well....once you get it going. Good Luck!

Samcatj

fcdiscus
02-08-2003, 07:02 PM
The 2 Aquaclears, and 3 Hydro 5 Songe filters. Just my 2cents worth! Frank 8)

slicksta
02-08-2003, 07:09 PM
WET/DRY w/ overflows.....
I have a 155 set up this way and I love it.....

BoxerDad
02-08-2003, 07:24 PM
On my 125g with 15 adult discus I have two ehiem 2028's

only reason being they were free.

If not free I would have went with AquaClear 500's, which I use on my 90 and 75's.

The 2028's are great and I only clean them every 3 to 4 months but I use a sponge on the intake side.

Joao
02-08-2003, 08:26 PM
I have one AC 500 on a 55gal w/ a small jar from honey that I use as a prefilter filled w/ wool, w/ one sponge (large), charcoal, peat from sera, some ceramic noodles and some blue bioballs the ones to use in a wet/dry filters. It sounds a lot but is not still have space for the water to run and not overflow, so for me the AC 500 is perfect. I have two more AC 500 new, that I bought w/ some tank's that I do not use, but is allways good to have a spare.

Canister is great, full w/ bioballs, some sponges to have a full colony of good bacteria, but if they stop for more than 1/2 hour you better put all the water out from the filter, and do a big water change, because the bacteria are submersed and if they don't get the oxygen they will dye fast. Put a prefilter in the intake and you just need to clean in a few months, and difuse the water flow w/ those pipes w/ holes , so you don't get a strong stream.

Please don't tell us you going to hide those Discus, you can have them alltogther, w/ gravel, plants everything, w/ the right companion ofcourse.

Two much filtration is no good , Dicus come from a slow waters strem (I don't know about the ones we have , since they only know the streams of our filters......)

Joao

dm
02-08-2003, 10:54 PM
You can be sure I won't be hiding the Discus. They will be right in the family room in full view. Just more of them now.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have decided to go with the dual AC500s. I have already ordered them from Big Al. They wanted over 2X as much at the lfs for them. I might go with a couple hydros too. not sure yet.

Joao
02-09-2003, 12:54 AM
Good choice, in those ones you can put whatever you need, w/ easy access . Here in Toronto Big Al's ask $79 cnd plus 15% tax.

Sorry for the question, what is hydro, it's a filter for shure, but what kind?

See you.

Joao

dm
02-09-2003, 11:50 AM
A hydro is a sponge filter that is run by a powerhead or more likely with Discus run by an air pump. They are very easy to maintain and cheap to purchase. It is what you see in the pics of peoples BB tanks with the big sponge on it.

Joao
02-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Great, I just didn't know the name of it.
So I can adapt to the intake of my AC500, right.

You the BEST.

Thank you

Joao

dm
02-09-2003, 11:05 PM
I don't know if you can do that or not. A lot of people put a foam prefilter on the intake of the AC. This should do the same thing.

Carol_Roberts
02-09-2003, 11:20 PM
No, A hydro sponge is used with an air pump as an extra biological filter.

The prefilter on an Aqua Clear can be any old fine pore sponge (like the type you wash cars with) Cut an X in the end of a piece and slip it over the intake tube. This prefilter is to stop food and feces from entering the Aqua Clear. You pull the prefilter off everytime you do a water change and rinse it under the sink to get the gunk out of it.

Joao
02-09-2003, 11:52 PM
Thanks once again.........

Joao