PDA

View Full Version : Brass Valves poisonous?

Lance_Krueger
02-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Is there any problem using valves and solenoid valves made of brass for aquarium use? Most solenoid valves offered are brass with stainless steel internal parts. I know you can usually get all-SS valves, and didn't know if that would be safer than brass. Didn't know if the brass would cause any problems with discus in freshwater, or water where salt is added when treating fish.
Thanks,
Lance Krueger

Aquarius
02-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Not sure of Brass, but SS is used in the newer Heaters, as well as most of your Power heads, Canster Filters, Hang on Filters, Bio Wheels, ECT.. Though alot of the newer filters are now going Ceramic finaly.

-steve

slicksta
02-07-2003, 09:28 PM
Brass is not poisonous....it is used in many plumbing product that are design for use with drinking water............Stainless is definitely a stronger and more durable, especially when dealing with corrosive elements like salt.....but I think it would be over-kill and expensive for use with a fish tank....
May I suggest PVC.....it is what most use for aquariums....You can get just about any valve/fitting, and it is cheap, safe, durable, easy to install and not affected by corrosive chemicals.
You can get it at most home centers and or plumbing or pool supply...

http://www.plumbingwarehouse.com/pvcvalve.html

John