PDA

View Full Version : USDA Hold

walton321
02-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Hi: I'd like some feedback from those who have imported. I was very frustrated when I went to the airport to receive my shipment from Thailand. I had no problems with US fish & wildlife. They showed up exactly one hour after arrival as promised at the cargo office. Inspection was only 15mins. The inspector was very cordial and interested in the shipment. Once that was cleared, the inspector stamped my airway bill then I went to US customs to get their clearance. Customs took my papers and right away they cleared my shipment in their system. I went back to the cargo office to pick up the box. They located my box and I signed for it along with forking over $20 service fee. As I was leaving they grab my box back and told me there's a USDA hold on the shipment. I was pissed and started to voice my anger because they fish have been in the bags for over 36hrs w/0 heat packs and it's 30 degree weather. Singapore Cargo said USDA only come once a day and I wasn't going to sit around. Cargo resolved it by calling up USDA supervisors and faxing over the health certificate accompanying the shipment. USDA faxed back clearance a half hr later

My question is does the USDA put a hold on all live fish shipments into the country? Or is it the airline or the country of origin that puts this kind of hold on shipments. I always thought you just had to worry about F&W and US Customs.

Thanks
Walton

chirohorn
02-07-2003, 07:18 PM
I don't have the answers you were looking for. :(

However, I've got a few questions as the fish seem to be much cheaper from Thailand. Who did you order from? How are they looking (pics please)? How much were they including shipping/other fees? Besides the USDA mess, are you happy w/the order?

fishfarm
02-07-2003, 10:01 PM
Hi, I import from Thailand, Penang, Peru and Colombia and have never even seen anyone from the USDA, they have no jurisdiction over you fish. Once you clear custom (very easy and fast) and pay US Fish and Wildlife $55 to look in a couple of boxes you are free to go. I've been importing monthly for 3 years and never been bothered by them. It seems very strange to me. What airport was this at? Ken

02-07-2003, 10:13 PM
HELLO,
I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM BEFORE EITHER!

HMM.....
MAYBE THEY ARE STARTING TO CARE OF PROBLEMS THEY SHOULD OF A LONG TIME AGO! BEFORE THEY ENTER OUR COUNTRY.

MAYBE ;D
CARY GLD!

02-08-2003, 01:51 AM
You sure the shipment said Live Fish and not Prime cut>>>> ;) ;)

walton321
02-08-2003, 02:34 AM
Hi: I don't think it's really worth it to import unless you're ordering a couple of boxes. Cost per fish may be cheap but importing is very costly. It's probably better to get quality fish from many of the breeders here. I got the license because I travel to asia often and want the privilege of bringing fish home. Anyway I ordered 37 2-3 inch fishes and shipping for the box was $180 + $55 for inspection + $20 service fee from the cargo office. The fish are still recovering from the trip so I havent taken any pictures yet. They are very skittish but healthy and eating. I'll take some pictures once they don't mind my presence.

Anyway i don't know why the USDA put a hold on it. It was shipped via singapore airline cargo to Newark Intl Airport. The clerk showed me the USDA hold list with my shipment on it and won't let me go unless I get clearance. Just a creepy side note: Also listed on their hold list was a frozen human head :o! That I can understand needs USDA inspection but not my live fish.

Regards
Walton

02-10-2003, 12:09 AM
Walton, My fish from Penag arrive on Singapore Airlines at Virgin Atlantic Bldg 340 at Newark ( EWR ) I have never heard of a USDA hold---The USDA would only be interested if they thought you had some plants in with the fish. To import Flaura and Fauna, you need a different license and that is the jurisdiction of the USDA. Did you have any Lucky Bamboo stashed? ;D It could have something to do with the country of origin? Joe

walton321
02-10-2003, 02:53 AM
Strange Joe, mine also came through the same building and same airline, but from Thailand. But no lucky bamboo. Here are some pictures.. Golds first.

walton321
02-10-2003, 02:56 AM
2 inch Marlboro reds. They call them red velvet. (A little too red for 2 inch don't you think?) Hope it's not hormones..

walton321
02-10-2003, 02:58 AM
3 inch San Merahs with the bars!

02-10-2003, 10:26 PM
Walton, I believe all of them are too red for small fish. The San Merahs with the bars are being sold as Rose Reds now.

Did you give Fish & Wildlife a 48 hour notice prior to importing? They always give me a conditional release and have never inspected my shipments. Joe

walton321
02-11-2003, 10:36 AM
F&W said that since this was my first import, they wanted to make sure I follow all procedures and have correct paperworks. They said that next time it will be conditional release. As for the marlboros, I have to wait and see how they grow up.

Regards
Walton