PDA

View Full Version : Strange parenting behavior?

clownalex
02-08-2003, 03:56 AM
Hi folks I have a newly formed one year old pair, approximately one month since the first eggs were laid, unfortunately none have been fertilized, I believe mainly due to the male being young and inexperience, he watches intently as she lays the eggs but not participating in the fertilization and there after takes his turn fanning and guarding the eggs, attacking my siphon hose during cleanings and being generally upset along with the female after I remove the unfertilized fungused eggs. Oh well I will give them some more time to gain experience. But the thing that interests me most and was wondering if anyone else has observed this behavior, both parents pick up their favorite food (black worms) when I do feed it to them and spit them at the eggs as if to say eat you little ones. Yesterday I noticed the female once again getting ready to spawn and this time after cleaning the area proceeded to spit the black worms on the area she was about to lay eggs on, then within an hour laid approximately 150 eggs which the male intently watched but again did not participate, then faithfully stood by her to fan eggs and once again when feeding their favorite food observed them spitting the black worms at unfertilized eggs. Is this normal behavior? or have I got a pair of whacko? Any and all information would be appreciated. And thanks for all the great articles and input from all of you, keep up the good work. Thanx: Alex

Ashish
02-08-2003, 10:51 AM
No dude , never came along with or heard such a behaviour till now . ;) . But one of my male behaves the same as your male do ;) .. looks like we both have twin brothers :) .. I guess some body else on the board will help u out..
Regards,
Ashish

02-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Alex,
This is quite normal behaviour for some pairs, nothing wrong with your fish at all. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. hth. All the best in the hatching.