PDA

View Full Version : Which is better...Multiple undersized filters or one oversized?

Sean
02-09-2003, 09:28 AM
There have been similar threads started here regarding heaters, and I was wondering everyone's opinion about filters.

Is it better to have 3 aquaclear 150s in a 90gal or 1 aquaclear 500?

I would think that 3 would be better because 3 lift tubes can accumulate more particles and 3 "Spill outs" would put more air in the water.

Same question for sponge filters?

Thanks,

Sean.

Ardan
02-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Hi,
I like a power filter that is a bit oversized to circulate the water and have even heating and plenty of filtration.

In addition I like extra sponge filters so if I need one on another tank or a hopital or breeding tank it is ready. ;D

can never have too much filtration, but is not good if there is not enough. JMO

"Turbulance at the water surface" is what gets the air into the water, so all the filters will give out varying degrees of turbulance, but also the distance from the spillway to the top of the water will give varying degrees of turbulance. Usually the longer the "waterfall"the more turbulance = more aeration.
hth

Richman
02-09-2003, 11:48 AM
Go with two 500's. Bigger is better. For the difference in price, the benefit is worth it. I always have more than one filter no matter how large they are. Saves a lot of trouble if you have problems with one. Also a lot more biological filtration. IMO, any filter smaller than a 300 is a waste of money and space.

Carol_Roberts
02-09-2003, 03:56 PM
It is better to have one AC 500 than three 150's on a tank larger than 40 gallons. I use AC 200 or 300 on 29 gallons. The 150 might be OK for a 10 gallon.

Gnome
02-09-2003, 05:57 PM
It is better to have one AC 500 than three 150's on a tank larger than 40 gallons. I use AC 200 or 300 on 29 gallons. The 150 might be OK for a 10 gallon.

I think it is better to have multiple (more than one at least) adequate filters, cause it is helping you keep the water filtered as you're changing or cleaning the other filter, I use eheim ecco 2231, but it is not enough water circulation for my 29 gallon planted tank, the flow rate is too small for my 29gallon so I put another 125 whisper filter for the water circulation, but the eheim ecco 2231 does a better job in filtering those tiny weeny dust and for difussing CO2, but too much agitation also can release the CO2 out.

Sean
02-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Thanks everyone for responding! I was thinking the same thing. more smaller is better then one large.

Carol_Roberts
02-09-2003, 11:37 PM
Three 150's is not enough for your tank. I doubt two 300's equal a 500.

I run a single 500 on 55 gallon tanks of juveniles

Sean
02-09-2003, 11:54 PM
Thanks,

I was just using those as an example. Just trying to clarify in my head which setup would be best one large, or mulitple smalls.

That's all,

Sean.

BlueTurquoise
02-10-2003, 12:08 AM
I vote for one large filter. 2 small filters are more work to service (filters get really dirty). Two AC300's cost more than one AC500.

Servicing of filters does not necessarily dammage the bacterial colony too badly if done correctly (using old tank water). I like to clean my filter every 2 weeks, if i were to interchange the cleaning between 2 filters, it would mean weekly cleaning of at least 1 filter.

My 2 cents.
Chong

Gnome
02-10-2003, 03:48 AM
Thanks,

I was just using those as an example. Just trying to clarify in my head which setup would be best one large, or mulitple smalls.

That's all,

Sean.

the reason I use eheim ecco is the easy maintainance. Cleaning is not necessarily frequently needed, I cleaned it every 3 months ( they recommend 4 to 5 months) also they have long intake tube, this feature can help you w/vaccuming also great for tall tanks. and for the whisper I clean it about a month cause it is easy and not need much time to clean.
Gnome.

Smokey
02-15-2003, 10:01 PM
Hmmmm ... interesting comments.
Chong - you only clean your filter every 2 weeks ?!?!?!
Gnome - you only clean your filter every 3 months?!?!?!

tch tch tch >>>> for shame! Do you realize what is growing in your filters.... all kinds of bacteria's... copeds, nemotoids, etc..
When you clean your canister/filters> save the dirty water in a jar/.container; let the debre settle. Use a siphon and collect some of the settled mumn.. take a look under a mircoscope... there is a whole different world living there..
AND some of it is not NICE.

BEWARE OF WHAT LURKS IN THE MULM...

Smokey

Gnome
02-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Smokey I haven't got any problems w/ that as long as yuo don't stir the gravel huehhee

Smokey
02-16-2003, 02:21 AM
HA HA HA HAHA - I do agree.. it like telling a Blonde -- yup your right...

Smokey