PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wells Discus - Raised by Al High

Willie
02-09-2003, 03:07 PM
I'm posting some pictures from Greywalker, who doesn't have a camera. Most of his fish came from Mike Wells. For those of you in the West St. Paul area, Al's well worth a visit.

Willie

Willie
02-09-2003, 03:10 PM
These are Mike's San Merahs Al got as babies before these fish became virtually unobtainable! Al doesn't feed with any coloring, so these are not brightly red. However, they have a beautiful pink/reddish hue, incredibly round bodies and good size. I took about 10 shots of these fish and could not get anywhere close to capturing the color hues. It'll take a better camera than mine to convey how nice this strain is.

Willie

Willie
02-09-2003, 03:11 PM
Another shot that also fails to capture the coloration, but shows how beautiful the shape is on San Merahs.

Willie

Willie
02-09-2003, 03:15 PM
These are Mike's Tangerines. In my opinion, Mike's Tangerines are unmatched in the business. Many of these fish are solid, but the pearl pattern on this fish really makes the background color jump out.

Willie

P.S. The vegetation is in pots in a barebottom tank.

Willie
02-09-2003, 03:17 PM
These are Mike's Super Red F1's, which are even redder than the San Merahs. Just superb. The solid fish are Mike's Tangerines.

Willie

Willie
02-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Here are some babies Al High got from Tangerine X Golden Sunrise and Tangerine X Pigeon Blood. Very nice shape and eye size. The speckling would probably disappear in a light background.

Willie

Willie
02-09-2003, 03:21 PM
For locals in the Twin Cities, Al has some extra adults for sale. He doesn't have regular e-mail access, so you can call him directly at 651/552-9869.

Willie

Al_M.
02-09-2003, 04:06 PM
Those pics don't look so bad Willie. and boy your right those sans sure have gotten big and round since I seen them last.
Al M. ;D

Denny
02-09-2003, 04:53 PM
boy,

al has some nice fish indeed.here is a picture of him from yesterday with a prize he won

denny

02-09-2003, 05:05 PM
Al High, Is a wonderful kind harted man. We have become good friends and I enjoy talking with him every time he calls. ;)

Thanks for the kind comments. :)

Willie, next time you talk to Al have him give me a call. I would like to give him a few tips. I know he loves his fish and the pics don't do them justice. However some do not look like they have reached there full potential. I think with a few pointers he will be able to get better growth, shape and color from his fish.

Next time your in Cleveland Willie look me up.

Mike

April
02-09-2003, 05:18 PM
those fish look pretty nice. my sans were quite light also.but are just now getting darker. i also dont colour feed. my santarems are as red as my sans. and it takes me a sec to find the san. but shape wise i can.
how come i never got your tangerines then mike? lol. they look nice. still got some?

Denny
02-09-2003, 06:06 PM
speaking of santarems,

if anyone can steer me towards a source for wild santarems please do so.

denny

BLUEKNIGHT
02-10-2003, 01:05 AM
Nice fish. I think the reason they look bad is beacuse of the way the pic was taken. ;D

greywalker
02-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Hi! I'm Al High (AKA greywalker).
I wish to be clear as to why I'm selling these fish, simply put I've decided to stick with Tangerines and Red Sanmerahs and I couldn't realisticly handle all these different fish.
Anyone is welcome to come by and simply view these fish anytime. I am disabled, do not work and consequently have lots of time for my fish.
My phone number is 651-552-9869. I'm asking $40.00 for these fish.
I normally feed these guys (and gals) a varied diet of various dry food, beef heart, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp and occassionally I feed live brine shrimp.
I usually do a 50% and a 25% water change on my tanks each day.

02-19-2003, 12:48 AM
Hi Al, Good to see you found the board... ;)

Mike

greywalker
02-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Hi Al High (a.k.a. Greywalker) here.
I sold seven (7) fish yesterday, got six (6) left to go. Here's the scoop:
1) two (2) are spoken for;
2) tangerine (fem), 14 mos, 3.5 inches - $40.00;
3) marlboro red (fem), 14 mos, 4 inches - $45.00;
4) two (2) red cobalts (from Willie), approx 10 mos, 2.5-3 inches - $25.00.
Thanks for all.
Al

02-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Hey Al.... Nice to see you posting....

Willie mentioned your San's at the meeting.... Are you sure you don't want to part with them too? :P

Really tho I wish I had room at the moment, but the fry are growing me fresh out of tank space.... :-\

Great to meet you and hope to see you in May....

Julz :)