PDA

View Full Version : Biotope Tank

Ralph
02-09-2003, 05:45 PM
This is my 29 gal at a halfway point to becoming my biotope tank.
The plants are temporary, they are all going to be pulled except the little bit of hairgrass to the right (it's been a painful experience for me and I am doing it gradually). I will keep some floating plants in the tank, you don't really notice them when you look at the tank but you get some of the benefits of a planted tank with them (ammonia removal, etc.). And that is a houseplant in front of the tank that you can see some of the leaves.

The substrate is large-grained, white, silica sand that I am completely sold on at this point. It's easy to clean (it's about 1/2" deep) and I don't have to worry about anchoring plants.

The root is an aerial root from a tropical cissus (jungle grape), in humid conditions, the vine sends down aerial roots 10' (I've got a greenhouse) until it reaches water or soil. It's floating right now, probably due to gas absorbtion, which I don't like. No solution yet how to anchor it.

The tree stump I bought from Ted (tjudy) and the branch is out of the back yard (trimmed off several years ago) and is attached to a small acrylic strip spanning the top of the tank. I like the look of the hanging driftwood, there will be a smaller piece added soon.

There are two heckels, nine rummies, two marble hatchets, and a very small dwarf pleco.

You can't tell by this picture but I'm actually getting better with the photos, it's been a learning experience.

I really like the look of this tank (though I understand that I may be alone on this). This is my best shot (so far) at recreating how they live in the wild. Most of my tanks will be heading this way eventually I imagine. I still like planted tanks and this is certainly not for everyone, but it is another option.

brewmaster15
02-09-2003, 05:56 PM
Hi ralph,
Check to see if that hosting service of yours has an option for allowing access from other sites.

-al

Ralph
02-09-2003, 08:08 PM
Al, I sent you an IM.

dm
02-09-2003, 08:14 PM
I can't see the picture Ralph.

brewmaster15
02-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Ralph, send me the pic.... ;)

-al

Ralph
02-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Can you see me now? Can you see me now? Can you see me now? Can you see me now? Can you see me now? Can you see me now?

This is worse than a cell phone, it showed up great on my computer, I guess I have to invite everybody over to my house to see the photo (but then, you could just look at the tank).

brewmaster15
02-10-2003, 09:55 AM
okay Verizon guy, we can see it now! :)
-al

ps... I like what I see! :)

ChloroPhil
02-10-2003, 11:10 AM
That's a really great tank Ralph! I like the "air root" a lot. How're your discus taking it?

Where'd you end up getting the large grain silica? I've been looking for it and can only find the really fine stuff. The local pool company only sells a proprietary brand.

Ralph
02-10-2003, 12:01 PM
That particular sand is from a LFS (in a converted roller rink), they sell it in bulk and won't talk about where they get it. I've also used Neptune's Reptile Sand (Aquarium Decor in Kingman, AZ), it's even larger grained and epoxy coated ("guaranteed aquarium safe"). That was also at a LFS.

The discus in the photo are new and apparently not too happy about anything at this point. The smaller one actually glared at me the other day.

ronrca
02-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Its actually looking quite nice Ralph! However, this may be just mine opinion but I would change the background to a darker background. I like the roots and hanging leaves. That is a cool idea! Maybe more would be better too.

Keep us posted on the progress. Good job! I like it!

Ralph
02-11-2003, 10:13 AM
That wood grain background is a thin sheet of laminate that I put there for pictures. There is actually a window behind it that looks into my greenhouse (I wish I had put the tank on something higher though - too late now). I'm thinking about putting a large hanging plant above the tank with stems hanging in back, in front, and one or two right into the tank. The trick is doing it in a way that de-emphasizes the tank itself rather than actually drawing attention too (which is sometimes what happens with exterior decorations).

Debbie
02-12-2003, 01:31 AM
A large leaved philladendron would look great. An LFS near me has them growing out of their tanks, like they were trying to root them but they have been there for over a year. Looks pretty. I asked a worker if it reduced nitrates but he wasn't sure. Said he would ask for me, but I haven't been back.

fossil
02-15-2003, 07:29 PM
I love it! I plan to set up my new tank like that when I get it. I also had the idea of hanging sticks from the top, I love that look and I'm sure with a little time your discus will like it too!

thebaglady
02-19-2003, 01:44 AM
What is a tropical cissus (jungle grape)? I've not heard of that plant. I like the roots though. It looks a bit like pistia stratiotes.