PDA

View Full Version : Brand of Peat Moss

espitzer
02-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Hi. I'm wondering what brand of peat moss most people are using and where they are getting it from?

Also wondering how much you are using and how you are introducing it into the water (placing it in a filter?)?

Thanks

yogi
02-12-2003, 11:00 PM
You can buy peat in the garden section at Home Depot, Lowes or even Wal-Mart. Just make sure it has no additives. You want it to say something like Canadian Sphagnum Peat. I use mine in refillable 10 inch water filter cartridges. My water first goes through a 10 inch sediment filter, then a 10 inch carbon block and last through the 10 inch refillable peat cartridge. It goes right into my water storage container. With my water conditions I get about 25 gallons for each peat cartridge. Peat is exhausted when the water flowing through it is no longer softer than the water entering it. I use a conductivity meter to help me.

espitzer
02-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Yogi,

Do you have any pictures of this setup? I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say that the water goes through 10 inch cartridges. Thanks.

Eric

Francisco_Borrero
02-15-2003, 06:52 PM
With the characteristics of my water, the effect of peat on pH and hardness is relatively minor. My water is 7.4-7.6 after aging/agitating 24hours, and moderately soft.
I use peat (Home Depot Canadian by the bale), because the fish seem to like it, and because it seems to have a "tonic" effect in them. They appera happier and more vibrant. The slight coloration of the water is actually nice.

I put 20 tablespoons in a mesh bag that goes inside a Fluval internal filter inside my storage containers. I believe this amount is roughly similar to what Yogi uses to fill the 10inch filter cartridge. I leave it working overnight, and then use the water for water changes.

I know some people use peat in the powerfilter inside their tank with fish. I wouldn't do it, because bit is difficult to achieve consistent results, and the fish would be exposed to much variability of parameters.

Good luck, Francisco.

yogi
02-15-2003, 07:07 PM
The 10 inch filters I'm talking about. Are the standard stuff you can buy at Home Depot, Lowes or Sears. Try this site for some pictures. www.aquaticeco.com go to the bottom and click on full search. For the refillable cartridge type in FX6, for a double 10 inch type in FLK2 and for a triple type in FLK3. Next time I refill some of my cartriges I will see how it compares to Francisco's 20 tablespoons.

Smokey
02-15-2003, 07:40 PM
yes; the 100% sphagnum Canadian peat moss. Funny; it is packaged by SunGlo, a Bellevue, WAshington Co., under the brand name Sunshine Peat Moss. Go Figure!!!
Anyway, similiar to yogi, however I fill a 5 gallon bucket, run the tap water through my carbon and sediment filters, into the sealed bucket. I get about 350 Liters/ 95 u.s. gal. before it becomes exhausted.
The water parameters drop from a pH of 8.5 to pH 6.0;and the gh drops from 425ppm to 35 ppm; the kh drops from 400ppm to 12 ppm. Pretty impressive, eh!
After the moss is exhausted..I have people lining to get it. They use it to repot plants in! Same as with my discus water; everone wants it for their plants.. Talk about recycling....
HTH
Smokey

espitzer
02-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the ideas on using peat? I'll give this a try and see how it goes.

Eric

yogi
02-17-2003, 10:44 AM
I refilled some of my cartridges, they hold about 26 oz by volume. In a comparison a tablespoon is 1/2 oz and a heaping 3/4 oz so Francisco is using about 14 oz. I flow water through it at 25 gallons per hour and then the 26 oz are about exhausted. I just pop in a new cartridge. My water goes from tap ph 8.5, kh 3, gh 5, and conductivity 250 ms. To peat filtered ph 6.4, kh 1, gh 3 and conductivity 200 ms. Also a slight yellowing of the water.

Smokey
02-18-2003, 04:57 AM
Oh yes; I use a flow rate of 10 gallons per hour . thanks for reminding me yogi.
After treating for ammoni. I aireate and add to my discus tanks.
i must say they love the water.
I just bought 15 baby discus from Darcy H., See member to member- a trip to remember for details.
I placed them in the peat water ;they were amazed.
very calm and relaxed. the discus just settled right in and started eating .
My seven - 8 month old Australian Discus have been in the peat water now for 5 months. They seem to love the brownish coloring.
One thing I have noticed - all the foams are seeded with micro scopic tannins - the pH stays staple - no changes, even if I miss a days water changes.

Anyway, keep us informed, espitzer, on how you make out.

yogi - I lke your idea using canisters- no possibility of messes!!!

Smokey