PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia Problem after Fishless Cycle is Complete

Russ
02-11-2003, 03:55 AM
Hi,

I finished a fishless cycle 2 weeks ago and have been adding ammonia to feed the bacteria until I recieved fish. I would add ammonia up to 5ppm's and in less then 24 hours it would be down to 0ppm's. I kept my nitrates down by doing water changes. My problem began when I added cories and bristle nosed plecos to the tank and stopped adding ammonia to feed the bacteria. After several days I started to read low ammonia levels, I don't know the problem. The only thing I could think of is that I'm starving the bacteria death, but I'm feeding the fish a good amount once a day. If I'm having problems now, whats going to happen when I add discus and do daily 50% water changes?

PS. I am using a water conditioner that does not take out ammonia, it only takes out chlorine.

Russ

Carol_Roberts
02-12-2003, 01:23 AM
Adding corries and plecos kinda defeated the purpose of the fishless cycle. Who knows what diseases they brought in with them?

If your filters are fully cycled they will regrow bacteria fairly quickly. You are doing the right thing monitoring ammonia levels now. Just use water changes to bring ammonia levels down now and after adding discus. It will all settle down shortly.

Russ
02-12-2003, 04:30 AM
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the advice, I was worried. By the way the cories and plecos were quarintiend for a month before I added them. The main reason why I did the fishless cycle was so I wouldn't have to put fish through the stress of cycling the tank.

Thank You,
Russ

Ralph
02-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Hi Russ, I'm really puzzled by your post. It shouldn't have happened.
Even if the lower amounts of ammonia (going from adding ammonia to relying on fish to supply ammonia) starved some of the bacteria, the survivors would still be processing the ammonia from the plecos, etc.

The only thing I can think of is that you accidently killed your bacteria, maybe adding meds? cleaning your filter with tap water?
What readings are you getting now?

Russ
02-13-2003, 04:45 AM
Hi Ralph,

I haven't added any medications, and I just tested the ammonia at 0.25ppm.

Russ

Carol_Roberts
02-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Do you have chloramines in your water? Are you using a product like Prime? Do you still show nitrAtes?

ronrca
02-13-2003, 03:51 PM
I had the same thought as Ralph! It is very strange. Did you clean the filter and/or media? Temperature changes? Does your water have chloramines? Do you treat the water for chlorine or chloramines before it enters the tank (like in a holding tank)?

I had possible something similar happen with fishless. I added ammonia, nitrites spiked and dropped, nitrates spiked. I did a 100% water change with tap water treating it with Prime. I then discovered my tap water had chloramines. Prime breaks the bond between chlorine and ammonia! The test kits mearsure ammonia+ammonium which now is present after adding Prime.

Russ
02-14-2003, 03:57 AM
I am using Chlor Guard by Seachem to take out the chlorine. I tested the water again today and the ammonia was back down to 0ppm.

Russ

Ralph
02-14-2003, 01:44 PM
I'm still puzzled, but I'm glad you are ammonia free.
Looks like it's time for discus.

I'd keep an eye on the ammonia levels for a week or so though.

Good luck Russ