PDA

View Full Version : What are the benefits of garlic in a discus diet?

patrick
02-11-2003, 07:35 AM
I am currently feeding my discus fresh garlic. For the most part, the larger discus 3-inch and up seem to eat the garlic. However, the smaller 2-inch have not acquired a taste for the stuff. Intuitively I think garlic would be good for the digestive system and possible their immune system.

Please share your thoughts, I am interested in learning more.

Patrick

chirohorn
02-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Based on what's been posted before, I'd say you're right. Garlic fed to fish (and humans) is supposed to increase the immune system's capacity to fight potential diseases/infections/etc.

black rat
02-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Not heard of that b4,
How do u prepare it ???

patrick
02-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Since I know that discus will not outright eat the garlic as is, therefore I prepare my own discus food.

Here's my recipe:

18 whole chicken eggs (I have 500 fish)
1/4 cup of water
1/8 to 1/4 cup of finely minced fresh garlic+
1 tablespoon of salt
1 to 2 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of cayenne
optional
1 tablespoon of liquid discus vitamin

mix all ingredients together without adding air

steam ingredients in a oven-proof glass bowl over a double-boiler (very important to steam the egg mixture, do not fry, boil, microwave, etc...)

Patrick

black rat
02-11-2003, 06:13 PM
:thumbsup:

spartyblaze
02-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Sounds like you could even make an omlet with the leftovers ;D

PS, did anybody see my boy Jason Richardson in the Slam Dunk contest last week? Do you think he needs clearance from the FAA to jump that high? Sparty on......

Ivan
02-16-2003, 04:49 PM
I use 5-6 cloves in 2lb beef heart mix. finely minced.

Willie
02-16-2003, 07:44 PM
I'm generally skeptical of the benefits of garlic because the human data is so weak. There are also a number of reasons why garlic appears to work when the effect is unmeasurable.

Its not my intention to blast garlic, but to mention what Jack Wattley says. Jack has done some work with using garlic to treat discus diseases and is a strong proponent of its inclusion in discus diets. I heard him talk about this topic at ACA last year. What Jack actually said is that the garlic comprises 50% volume of the beefheart mix. Why does he use this much? Because it doesn't work at lower levels.

Draw your own conclusions, Willie

thebaglady
02-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Hi Willie,

did u say 50%....that's an awful lot of garlic considering the large chunks of beef heart going in the average food processor! Did Jack W. say he does this for every prepared batch?

WOW. There must be more to this than my limited knowledge. :o Jen K.

black rat
02-17-2003, 07:45 AM
i agree bag lady its beyond me

BlueTurquoise
02-17-2003, 09:03 AM
50% garlic sounds alot...

I also heard that if you are a heavy drinker of spirits like bourbon, you are also less likely to have worms. Not sure about that one either...

I am also skeptical about garlic, then again perhaps Jack may be right in such large quantities, anything can be effective LOL. How healthy is long term 50% garlic feeding? you can have too much of a good thing you know...

Chong

black rat
02-17-2003, 11:39 AM
bet their breath smells as well................lol :bounce2:

thebaglady
02-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Fish breath...hmmmm, now that's something to ponder.
??? ???

nalah
02-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Large quantities are needed to be affective as its the essential oil that is needed,not so much the pulp.
You could add garlic tablets or capsules as opposed to natural garlic. this would also eliminate the odour.

(i have studied aromapherapy)

LOL Chong - alcohol..true - but it would also kill your liver.

another alternative - garlic essential oil .

You must be cautious when using essential oils.

black rat
02-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Pascale you whizz kid :bounce2:

thebaglady
02-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Yes, I know a little bit about essential oils...they are highly concentrated so one only needs a few drops added to a liquid or food to get the benefits.

Conceivably, a fish could get the positive results not just from eatting, but by osmosis too. Maybe the oil could be added during water changes, as salt is!

I still want to know if Mr. Jack W. used the garlic/beefheart as a preventive (ongoing day in, day out) or just when he saw signs of stress or disease. Willie....where are ya...?