PDA

View Full Version : More Heater fun!

pissydiscus
02-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Ok, I know everyone has a opinion. Here is what I have come down to:

I have spoken with Jeff yesterday, (hehe Jeff knew I was going to post) and was looking into purchasing some of his ViaAqua heaters. I have decided to go with 2 100W ViaAqua Titaniums for my 1 40G tank. He suggested I either do that or just get 1 300W. Since I was kind of worried about one sticking on after reading all these heater posts I decided to go with the 2 100W's. Anyone see any reason not to? Is it really that big of a worry? I do want to make sure I can reach the higher water temp's incase I do need to heat treat. I'm posting because I want to see what people have seen from expierience. It appears that lot's of people that have had their tanks overheat choose having 2 smaller heaters over 1 larger so that doesn't happen to them again. As I'm writing this it almost seems like a worthless post but I kind of want to know what everyone thinks. I really love my little guys and don't want them to fry :(

02-11-2003, 03:43 PM
I've got a 50g tank with one 200w Ebo Jager, three 55g tanks on a central system with two 500w titanium heaters in the sump (from Jehmco), two 65g tanks each with one 200w Ebo Jager heater, six 28g tanks each with a 200w Ebo Jager heater and a 180g tank with two 500w titanium heaters (Jehmco). Both sets of titanium heaters are on controllers, all others use their internal thermostats. I've never had a heater overheat. I hate cleaning around heaters, having suction cups fail, cleaning the suction cups and placing 2 heaters in a small tank would be tough as all of mine are horizontally mounted about 4" above the tank bottom. So I'd go with a single 150w or 200w heater.

Dave

pissydiscus
02-11-2003, 04:05 PM
Dude, you must've been talking to my GF .... She just called and told me almost the same thing, she told me why would you want to clean around two? She called and told me that she just purchased one of those won heaters from a LFS near my house because she knew I would never make up my mind.

keno
02-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Go with 2 small heaters, those who reccomend one probably have not had their fish fried on a runaway heater.

Ken