PDA

View Full Version : Fluorescent Light repair ANY Electrician's out there?

chuck
02-11-2003, 04:01 PM
I have a bunch of Fluorescent strip Lights with broken sockets and burnt out in-line starters (that's what I assume they are.. They don't have the screw out ones on the strip so I think this is how they save money on the manufacturing of these lights). It looks like it should be an easy replacement even for me, the "Master Of Disaster" :-\
It seems foolish to replace the whole light @$50.00 when it must only cost $20. for a complete wiring harness.
Has Anyone tried this before ?
What is the ZAP :o :o :o :o factor on such repairs??? :o :o :-\ :-\ ;D
chuck

heavyp83
02-11-2003, 04:42 PM
I can't help with the technical part but I can relate with you concern about the "zap factor". I've been shocked by a light strip before. It's not that bad, but it was enough to worry me every time I go to click that switch again. Makes me feel like the kid you learn about in psychology class that was conditioned to be afraid of white bunny rabbits. Good luck fixing them!

limige
02-11-2003, 05:34 PM
you can buy the endcaps at lowes or grainger/grainer.com.
they also sell ballast if you ever want to fab your own setup.

zap factor varies, you'll know it but it won't kill ya.
neon signs are the ones not to mess with! don't mess with those babies!!! :o

good luck!

Top_Bhoy
02-11-2003, 06:12 PM
At all times, if your not sure with mains electricity - LEAVE IT ALONE. Circumstances and environments vary and the problem with electricity is that you just never know whats round the corner and it always has to be treated with respect...avoid the zap factor AT ALL COSTS.

Chuck, it has to be said..for saving a few dollars and if your not sure what to do....dump the lights cos it ain't worth the risk (they don't sound like their in great health anyhow).

Sorry to sound so negative but I think so many people are complacent when it comes to mains electrics.

Chris

snowshoe
02-11-2003, 06:31 PM
HI,

I HAVE REPAIRED/ MODIFIED MANY LIGHTS(GUESS IM CHEAP). THE PROCESS IS FAIRLY EASY IF YOU UNDESTAND BASIC ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS AND ONLY IF. THERE ARE REALLY ONLY 4 COMPOINENTS IN A FLOR LIGHT.
1. THE SWITCH
2. THE BALLAST
3. THE STARTER--WHICH IS OPTIONAL
4. THE SOCKETS

IN A REPAIR --PUT THE NEW PART IN EXACTLY AS THE OLD ONE WAS-- TAKE DIG PIC IF NECESSARY BEFORE STARTING. TAPE AND TERMINATE ALL WIRE CONNECTIONS. NEVER WORK ON ANYTHING WHILE IT IS PLUGGED IN !!!
a MULTI METER IS OF GREAT BENEFIT SUCH THAT THE WIRING CAN BE CHECKED FOR SHORTS BEFORE PLUGGING IT IN.

HOPE THIS HELPS

ABOVE ALL BE VERY CAREFULL---110 AC IS DANGEROUS!!

Wahter
02-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Most of the starters will have a wiring diagram on them to help you out - the electronic ballasts often do not need the starters. As mentioned, the electrical charge given off by the ballast to ignite/ start the lights can be nasty - so be careful.

Most of the Home Improvement shops (Home depot, Lowes, etc...) should have parts that you will need.

HTH,

Walter

ronrca
02-11-2003, 07:32 PM
As Wahter says, Home Depot is a good place to start. If you can get electronic ballasts, much better preformance and easier to wire (instant start all the time with electronics). And again as Wahter points out, the schematics are on the ballasts.

THe other question is, what kind of fluorescents do you have? I can buy a 2 lamp 4' fluorescent lamp for $20Cdn.! So, ask yourself if it is worth it! Usually the ballasts cost as much as the whole fixture and that is the ballast included. Just a thought!

chuck
02-11-2003, 08:31 PM
thanks everyone, I don't know what I'm gonna do , I normally would just buy a new fixture but this on goes on top of my Oceanic in the living room and it's has a white wash color to match the cabinet. Oceanic stuff is expensive... and the other manufactures don't makeit in that color which my wife insists must match! ::)
The ballast is ok, It's just the lamp socket and there is a starter wired into the red wire, this little glass tube is burnt out (like in smoke color). I'm gonna take the setup to a electronic lighting store and see what they say..
if your interested i'll keep you posted ... ;)
chuck

slicksta
02-11-2003, 10:10 PM
....as an electrician, I can tell you that it is not hard to repair. If you have basic mechanical skills and can follow directions, you should not have a problem. You should be able to find the parts you need at a home center or electrical supply house. If you have any doubt or lack the requirements in my second sentence.....let a qualified person make the repair for you....

let me know if you have a specific question...
John

Wahter
02-11-2003, 10:22 PM
which my wife insists must match! ::)

chuck

Hmm... just wondering how many wives are 'in control' of how the aquariums look. ;D ;D ;D I saw that Joe was saying his wife didn't like him selling off a blue diamond. I know one of my friends with a 100 gallon tank told me his wife 'had not decided yet on how the room will look'. ;D ;D ;D

Walter

ronrca
02-12-2003, 12:08 PM
LOL! ;D

I wish my wife would be telling me not to sell my discus! Better than telling me not to buy discus or tanks!

chuck
02-12-2003, 12:26 PM
I admit My wife controls ANY room that visitors can see. and as long as she lets me keep my tanks in there she can say how they should look to some extent :P ::) it's another story when it comes to the unseen rooms! ::) ;D ;D ;D She can't handle the utter chaos /mess so she stays out or closes her eyes... 8) 8)
chuck

brewmaster15
02-13-2003, 02:59 PM
John,
You're an electrician? Oh man , you must have had a bird when you visited my place and saw the hanging wires and surge strips everywhere? ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://a9.cpimg.com/image/05/52/11144709-fb2f-021C0195-.jpg
-al

Wahter
02-14-2003, 12:35 AM
OMYGOSH - I used to setup/install/ connect to the LAN, etc... PC's for part of my job - that looks almost like what I've seen underneath people's desks (okay, no fish but some HUGE dust balls - can't even breathe down there!). electrical octopus!

Walter