PDA

View Full Version : One way stop valves on airlines

BlueTurquoise
02-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Hidi ho,

This morning i was involved in some sort of fish related electrocution incident/near death experience for the second time this year.

First one was my tronic blowing up a few weeks ago. That to me scared the crap out of me.

Today, the only airpump in the whole house without a one way stop valve, and it happens to be a faulty pump on my storage tank. I woke up this morning, went to feed my fish before work and noticed that the storage tank (nearby in the laundry) wasn't making a low humming noise that the airstone usually makes. I thought it was a power outage but the heater was still running. I failed to notice that the airline had formed a siphon and the pump was filled with water and still turned on at the power point!!!

I went over to pick up the pump and WOW fizzz ouch! Stoopid me, I was half asleep at the time and wasn' thinking straight i guess. That sure woke me up!!

Going out to get a new pump today and a one way stop valve. hehe

Chong :-\

Wahter
02-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Try to get that check valve and position the air pump higher than the aquarium tank. :)

Walter

BlueTurquoise
02-11-2003, 07:08 PM
Yeah I know, this is my water storage tank that it happened on. I just keep the pump on the floor becuase of space problems. I was just asking for trouble if you ask me! :P

Chong

02-11-2003, 07:17 PM
Chong,
Not a good way to start the day.

Miles

slicksta
02-11-2003, 10:16 PM
GFI receptacle !!!
or you will be doin' the electricity dance.......
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/9416image001.gif
....now lets be careful out there......
John

Rod
02-12-2003, 07:39 AM
Hi Chong,

Glad your still with us mate, scares the crap out of me fish tanks and electricity and i'm an electrician...lol. Maybe it's time you got an electrician to put an earth leckage type breaker on your power circuits, don't cost too much compared to you. ;D

Rod

BlueTurquoise
02-12-2003, 09:04 AM
LOL yeah, we have a main breaker on the house, but it didn't feel like there was that much of an electrical leak. Perhaps it wasn't strong enough to trip the breaker...

Do you mean one of those Kambrook plug into the wall just before the elecrical items like breakers?

Chong

April
02-12-2003, 11:46 AM
chong . buy a powerhead for your water storage . easy. sticks in the tank and the water goes round and round.
no airlines..no pumps...and no storage problems.

BlueTurquoise
02-12-2003, 06:32 PM
hmmm never thought of that...

I replaced it with another air pump. Boy the air pumps these days are quiet! and Cheap! $12 for a Atman el cheapo and I can't hear it running!

The new airpump doesn't have enough cable to sit on the floor so it is on my window sill, above the water storage container.

Thanks for everyone's concerns...

Chong

Rod
02-14-2003, 05:16 AM
Hi Chong,

Yeah, you could use one of those plug in type breakers for each electrical appliance that you feel could be a problem...or better yet get one hard wired into your power circuits. It's actually law to have them in houses built in about the last 10 years or so, or if you get a rewire job done.

HTH

Rod

Jason
02-14-2003, 09:42 AM
;DRod

sounds like your mum made you go to wireing school ;D

Rod
02-15-2003, 04:25 AM
LOL Jason:D

Yeah mum made me go to wiring school, have no idea why as i had already worked after school and weekends in the lfs and all i ever thought off was fish and nature ( even girls took a back seat unless off course they also kept fish:D) and all i wanted to do was work associated with fish. Anyway after 6 years the error was corrected and now all i do is fish stuff. 8)

Rod

Don_Lee
02-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Hmmmm-speaking of electrocution! I just got a nice shock from a heater malfunction. I put my hand in the tank water to feed the fishies, and DARN, OUCH, shockeeeee. LOL, I was able to find the faulty heater by process of elimination. With all of these heater malfunctions discussed on the board, I thought I was doing pretty well. However, yesterday my wife had a relatively new Tronic shatter on her, and today this relatively new Rena, less than 6 months old each, has me scrambling..... On a positive note, my wife called Hagen and they promised a new heater to come in the mail. And I guess I will be calling Rena....

Be careful out there everyone!

Don ;D

BlueTurquoise
02-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Don,

wow be careful yourself too!

Sorry if I missunderstand but are you saying that your tank was live?? :o :o :o (reached your hand in and zap) how did the fish react?? ???

Warranty on the Rena's would be what I would try...

Chong

Don_Lee
02-19-2003, 12:17 AM
Yep, the tank was live! The fish showed no effects, which shocks the heck out of me!
I am not sure I want another Rena....lol. Arm still feels kind of numb, a hair raising experience! LOL, seriously, I looked in the mirror and the hair on the top of my head was standing up. LOL

Don ;D

BlueTurquoise
02-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Werw!!! that is really shocking! :P LOL

I would have thought they'd show some signs, even if remotely... Maybe it is the fact that you were acting as a ground? (I'm no electrician but...)

Chong

April
02-19-2003, 12:47 AM
don.its the same as the birds on the live wires.
if they had one foot on the ground and one on the wire.they;d fry. but they dont as all on the wire. if the fish had one fin out on the ground.hed also fry. right...mr. electrician who now plays with fish instead of wires?

Don_Lee
02-20-2003, 12:55 AM
I have recovered, and received a new Marineland 100 watt heater by mail....we will see....

Don

Rod
02-20-2003, 07:12 AM
Yeah your right April :o :o ;D ;D btw, just loved your analogy, remind me to tell you about the bird on a wire incident that i saw when i chat to you next.