PDA

View Full Version : Pics of Tapeworm????

Barb Newell
02-11-2003, 10:00 PM
This is the worm that came out of my fish. Does it look like a tapeworm? It broke into pieces, this is one worm. Part looks segmented, the other part just looks slimy.

Barb Newell
02-11-2003, 10:00 PM

fcdiscus
02-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Actually, no, that does not look like a tapeworm to me Barb! Could be the picture is not clear enough, but tapeworms are more solid white and much more segmented looking to me. Frank

Denny
02-11-2003, 11:14 PM
looks like it to me. probably just the light.

Barb Newell
02-11-2003, 11:15 PM
Hi Frank... hmmmmm, if it's not a tapeworm, I wonder what it is. It looked whiter in the water.

Barb :)

Carol_Roberts
02-12-2003, 01:29 AM
I can see segments in the top picture upper left corner. Looks like tapeworms + lots of mucous :-X

fcdiscus
02-12-2003, 03:11 AM
Well Barb, since it came out with the Prazi, I would guess it was a tape worm. Is that the only one to come out? Frank

fcdiscus
02-12-2003, 03:15 AM
I read your other post too, Barb, and I would suspect a case of Hex and treat accordingly. JMO! Frank

Barb Newell
02-12-2003, 05:16 AM
These are the pics of the worm coming out. It was getting tangled in her fins and trailing behind her, at that time it was white, no mucous, solid. Then it broke up in the water and became mucky.

I got this pair 9 days ago, they haven't eaten. They hide a lot. I thought hex so treated with metro at 350mg/10 gals every 8 hours for 3 days, temp 92. Temp is still raised to 90. After metro treatment, rest, then I did one treatment of prazi. This is when this came out, 30 hrs after prazi. She and the male haven't eaten, the female is a little dark. They have a 3 month old fry (that I inherited) in the tank with them, the fry has passed about 3 of these (much smaller) as well. The fry has never stopped eating.

It seems like hex because they sit in the back corner, facing the back much of the time. The also sit on top of the hydro-sponge bubbles all the time. They look at food, then swim away, no interest. I can't get them to eat. 10 days.

Barb

BlueTurquoise
02-12-2003, 05:58 AM
Wow great pictures Barb, thanks for sharing!

Great dinner conversational topic this one! ;D

Chong

02-12-2003, 07:46 AM
Tape worms are quite often more of a "bright white" color...but that is....without a question of a doubt, a tapeworm.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/n/smiliechicken.gif

Think I'll go for sushi tonight ;D

Tony

brewmaster15
02-12-2003, 10:30 AM
hi Barb,
I see segments as well. But there could be more than one thing going on. I'd stick with the tape worm assessment first, and then watch how the fish do. You've already treated for hex, so its possibly that in addition to the tape worms, theres other worm proplems...capillaria, which may or may be resolved with prazi.

Take one step at a time.

-al

Tony... I was thinking about noodles for dinner. :)

fcdiscus
02-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Spagheti with Praziano cheese and White clam sauce! Frank :-\

brewmaster15
02-12-2003, 02:38 PM
I swear... only a discus board!

I feel sorry for the poor websurfer doing an internet search on Spaghetti recipes , and spelling it like frank! :) ;D ;D ;D

-al

so how do you all like those worms.....al dente? :)

Barb Newell
02-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Hi, thanks all for the help and IM's. I really appreciate your support. I am getting really worried and am afraid I'm going to lose this pair. :'(
Fish not doing too good today, I redosed with prazi last night, they didn't pass any more worms, they are quite dark (both the male and female of the pair - neither is eating), they are sitting facing the back of the tank all the time, in the corner. Listless, black eyes, dark.

Should I keep the prazi in?

Al, thanks for your help. I am very sorry to hear that your wife's grandmother has passed away, you have had such a rough time lately. Hopefully, better times are ahead for you and your family, especially June :).

Barb

brewmaster15
02-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Thanks Barb, :'(

As for your fish... Theres really no benefit to redosing with prazi so quickly. generally for tape worms follow these guidelines....

Bath.... 100mg/10 gal (1/4 tsp/20 gal)
allow meds to remain in the tank for 48 hours. Mechanical filter may be running- no carbon or other chemical media. On the third day begin daily water changes of 10 to 30% for the next 5 days. On the 7th day repeat the entire process. On day 14 a third treatment may begin.

Prazi should not be stressing these fish out. My suggestion is to remove all meds from this pairs tanks, and let rest quietly for several days.Keep the water parameters stable. Don't even attempt feeding for a day or two. They may just be stressed from the move to a new home, then the metro treatment, and the TLC you have given them may be far more attention than the previous owners gave them.

Let them rest, cover the tank if necessary so they don't feel threatened. Give me a call if you want to go over it all some more.

hth,
al

02-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Barb,
I agree with Brew no more Prazi! it did what it did! It cannot do anymore for tapeworms this week. I would now supply lots of fresh water and warm temps. IMO it looks to be tape worm and intestinal linning from the Discus not eating and because of the move.

Best wishes!
Cary Gld!

P.S Brew Sorry to hear again!
our prayers go out to you and Your family!

fcdiscus
02-12-2003, 07:05 PM
Barb, I am with Cary and Al! heat and WCWCWC. Hold off all meds for a while, and keep us informed! Frank