PDA

View Full Version : Finicky Discus

tyrancooper
02-12-2003, 12:27 AM
Okay... here's what happened:

I had been feeding my 3 blue diamond discus a wide variety of frozen and flake foods, but flake food predominated. The two flakes I relied on were a variety of Omega One flakes(which they loved) and occasionally Ocean Nutrition Formula One flakes (which they hate).

Then I ran out of my Omega One supply. Between my Work and school schedules I was unable to go to the LFS for more Omega One. So for about a week, the discus enjoyed frozen food exclusively (bloodworms, brine shrimp, turkey heart, San Francisco bay Freshwater variety packs, daphnia, etc.).

I finally bought some Omega One freshwater flakes today. My discus wouldn't go near it! :-\

Will they eventually eat their formerly favorite flakes when they get hungry enough, or have I spoiled them to the point of no return?

I'm concerned because if the latter of the above is the case, the frozen food is much more expensive, and I believe that uneaten bits of it will potentially foul the water more quickly than I can do water changes (approx. 40-50% twice a week).

Tyra

BlueTurquoise
02-12-2003, 09:16 AM
Hi Tyra,

try feeding the flakes first thing in the morning when they are really hungry. I bet some of the flakes will be eaten, if only reluctantly. Mine don't like pellets all that much but boy they will eat them in the morning when they are hungry.

If you feed heart mix or other frozen foods then try adding the flake to the mix after thawing it abit. Small amounts at first and then increase the flake content until they are used to flakes again. Discus are like kids I suppose, and you can spoil them :)

Chong :thumbsup: