PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite

02-12-2003, 04:42 PM
What direction is the hobby going.. What do you like or dislike?

Mike

Ryan
02-12-2003, 04:45 PM
It's a toss-up for me. I love wilds but as for domestics I like the solids best I think. Out of the tankful of discus I have right now, they are all striated and look like turks or red turks. I've never been a fan of the spotted fish, they just look too "busy" and unnatural to me. So even though I don't own any solids :P I think they're my favorite.

Ryan

Tyler
02-12-2003, 04:51 PM
Mike,
I can't choose!!! I love all of those choices....maybe theres something wrong with me...

Tyler

02-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Mike,
Very interesting poll. Everyone that knows me has already figured out what I like. Also people need to realize that "Wild" genes need to be breed back into the domestic strains. The stronger the gene pool the stronger the strain of fish.
These are just my thoughts.

Miles :)

02-12-2003, 05:17 PM
I like them all too Tyler but if you could only have one what would it be?

Mike

DarkDiscus
02-12-2003, 05:25 PM
Wilds. Definitely wilds.

Then wild/domestic crosses.

Then classic strains.

Then striated.

Then solids.

Then spotteds.

Ask me again tomorrow and I'll change...

John

brewmaster15
02-12-2003, 05:38 PM
I love the wilds, but if I had to make a choice, I'd say the crosses. I have been working now with wild crossed to domestics for the last 2 years , and I think there is much to be gained genetically by doing this. I have also noticed what appears to be a better growth rate in these crosses compared to some of the domestic lines I have raised.

I also find the variety you get from a spawn very interesting. I think there is a place for all the choices in the poll, but for me, the future of my hobby is to work with the crosses, and also with the wilds with the intent of crossing the F1 wilds.

Nice topic for a poll Mike.

-al

ALEXIS
02-12-2003, 05:41 PM
I Love the REDS ! ;D ;D ;D

02-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Mike, yes hard question to answer. I like the solids but at the same time nothing turns my head like a really sweet red turk.................................Randy

brewmaster15
02-12-2003, 05:44 PM
Randy with a red turq like the one you have there in your avatar I can see why!

-al

02-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Al, Thanks.... But I have to give Dennis most of the credit for that one, along with his mate.....but they have spawned many that look just as good waiting to take over when they retire ;) ;) ;) ;)

Randy

BlueTurquoise
02-12-2003, 06:52 PM
I am really hard pressed to find Wilds here in AU. The f1 and f2's that I can get here sometimes have crosses in them which kind of defeats the purpose. As a hobbyist it would be nice to just raise and keep pure strain wild fish (not saying that the wild fish has never crossed itself in the wild or anything) but I think the fish in it's natural "state" and colours have quite alot of charm to them.

That said I voted for solids cuase some of them are :o :o :o

Chong

Tyler
02-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Only 1, huh? Ok, well i think i would have to go with the Crosses atm. I agree with Al completely...theres so much good in it. And i love the variety!

Tyler

fcdiscus
02-12-2003, 07:08 PM
Love them small Red Melons! And throw back fish from Crosses. Frank :D

grrrr8guy
02-12-2003, 07:46 PM
I like all discus , I must admit solids are my fav though.

Hopefully there will always be some person/organization who knows where dicus originated and the original strands.

Hopefully someone somewhere has a true factual account of how all the new strains that breed true in captivity were developed.

grrr8guy

bmrin1
02-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Mike,
I love red turks but I
am really starting to love the solid red and yellows. By the way the San's I got from you last March are spawning about every two weeks. No wigglers yet but that will correct itself soon as they are young yet.
Brian

Denny
02-12-2003, 09:51 PM
wilds wilds or wilds, but i love my bd's and marlboros too.

denny

02-12-2003, 10:57 PM
Mike, I did not need to post to expose my bias--but thought I would just in case someone here recently arrived from Mars 10 minutes ago.

I like the solids- san merahs and melons--especially yellow crystals ;D
I like blue turqs red turgs and brilliants ;D
I like the snakes -- Scorpions and pigeon snakes ;D
But give me spots before my eyes and I'm content!! Joe :P :P

chuck
02-12-2003, 11:17 PM
It's funny how the hobby changes less then 2 years ago on the other fourms you would have been tar and feathered and then banished if you produced hybrid for the shear fun of it.... :o :o
Today they are listed in the poll and liked by 14%..... same goes for BW. a few years ago you were considered a fool for feeding blackworms..even though secretly many breeder were "closet BW feeders" ;D :P :P Today your one if you don't... :P :P ;D ;D

I don't care for any fish that's white or original PB. I like all the rest!! ;) ;)

chuck

02-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Joe... I would never have guessed... ;D ;D ;D

I pretty much new that the solid fish were going to be #1 with the public.

I figured wilds would have been a close second...

Good to see the older styles are coming full circle!!! Hmmm could it be the hobbyist are starting to get tired and want something real that breeds true? Or maybe its been awhile and the market needs something new....

Mike

Denny
02-13-2003, 12:20 AM
everything goes in cycles, humans get bored pretty easily and we need change to keep our interest :book:

http://daah.info/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1112;sta rt=0

denny

Jason
02-13-2003, 12:43 AM
I've been saying it for the last two years,
Classics and wilds!
I want the fish that were in the pictures in the books that got me hooked on discus in the first place!

yeah the new fancy stuff is exciting, but alot of the priciples and features the greats like Schmidt-Focke, Wattley and others strived to create are being lost.

BLUEKNIGHT
02-13-2003, 01:11 AM
I Like the wilds and the solid strains. especially the solid yellow. ;D

April
02-13-2003, 01:29 AM
Ok i had trouble choosing.but i chose the classics . i still think a bt or rt etc are great. and i agree with jason.alot of the good ole stuff is being lost. lately i see some nice rt and dont think you can go wrong.
but..i really love my manacapura x alencers..and they will be fun to see what i get in the next generation. so im also with brew on having something unique to create .
of course..i also like the goldens.
and i love my wild tank. but decided their more for pleasure.but if i was told only one category....itd have to be striated classics.

Lynn
02-13-2003, 01:53 AM
I like them all!!!

If I have to choose...its a tie between classics and wilds.
But as said earlier...ask me tomorrow and I'll tell ya something different!
;DLynn

02-13-2003, 11:14 AM
I like the solid color domestic. I've spent over 20 years trying to develope a strong high fin solid fish. I finally acheived to have a few solid fish like the Canary, Red Melon and green. from selected breeding. Unfortunately, I found myself dealing with ailments of various kind all the time even with 100% W/C daily. Most of the domestics have weak immune system. I had decided to stop further development for the domestic and actually found no new challenge from them anymore. They are extremely difficult to maintain. From my new found knowledge of the wild recently made me realize all my effort from the past years were wasted if I could have known those fish I'd developed exist in the wild. That have renew my interest crossing domestic with the wild. I have acquired the Curipera and an unknown wild Pigeon Blood Rio Esmaj with the patten of our domestic Leopard skin. I'm planning to cross them with my Red Melon and Golden as well as my Red diamond Leopard with them and see what I can come up in the next few years. Hopfully the F1 will have a strong immune system like the Cichlids not the weak sickly discus.
Jimmy.

Dennis_Hardenburge
02-13-2003, 11:28 AM
I wasn't going to post on this, but here goes.
As far as eye appeal I personally don't think you can beat a nice red turk.
It surprizes me that the solids seem to be the most popular and I was exspecting wilds to rate a little higher.
I could just about repeat Jimmy's post, except I am more interested in breeding wild to wild to maintain a strain rather than doing much outcrossing.
The wilds I have resently purchased have definately given me a fresh outlook.
Dennis

02-13-2003, 11:38 AM
Guess I can add my favorites......

I really like the Wild Crosses along with solid colour strains.... I think if wild blood isn't introduced to the domestic strains, the domestics will only get weaker.... am I wrong in saying this?

Just a thought ::)

Beth

02-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Wilds for me Hands down.... :thumbsup:
Next would be the solids for sure. I'm with Ryan... the spotteds are a bit too busy, but are starting to grow on me.

Just a Plain Jane.....

:)

arpanlib
02-13-2003, 11:56 AM
hi,
i love all sorts of discus.

but i prefer the soptted and the solid strains. ;D

arpanlib

chirohorn
02-13-2003, 12:03 PM
It seems the longer one keeps discus, the more a beauty of the wild discus is preferred & appreciated. It must grow on the experienced keepers or something.

I feel most of the newbies are drawn to the hobby by the bright, vibrant color of the domestics. My personal preference are the solids: reds, blues, greens, goldens, whites, etc. Maybe I'll like the wilds more in the years to come (if my theory holds up).

JimmyL & Ralph echo my sentiments that a domestic strain/line shouldn't go too far w/o introducing some wild DNA along the way. This should increase the immune response capacity & ovreall health of the resultant fish.

02-13-2003, 07:26 PM
My fav: crosses and other hybrids. next comes the spotted types. Sorry, the solids are not for me, you can't improve much on them anymore than they are.
To surpass the Asians you can't keep on reinventing THEIR wheel. You need to be more original.lol.

Chris-C
02-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Sollid red and gold
;) ;)

Chris

c-bones
02-18-2003, 10:42 PM
I like the Red Turks...no wait the Solids.......wait I mean the PB, uhmmmm did I say Wilds.....yea I like Wilds,

Are they Round, do they have Red Eyes...........Yea those are the ones I like ;)

Sorry Mike I got carried away ::)
I like the the pandas, and the Solids

Rose

allan_mark76
02-19-2003, 06:52 PM
Solids definately. Right now I'm working on the Red Covers/San Merrahs.

A- ::)

roger
02-20-2003, 12:29 AM
I like my wilds the best, but for domestics ..

Ill say solids are probably my favs ... Im really starting to like my melons

Peace,
Roger

02-20-2003, 03:30 AM
For me I love the Wilds, and my favorite non wild would be a Classic Red Turk. Guess because that is what was available as I started.
Have others also but am not so crazy about them. They still get the best pampering I am able to give ;D

Ronald

thebaglady
02-21-2003, 03:33 PM
I took the poll and landed in the highest percentage (solids) purely by accident? I'm new to discus and currently like ALL of them, but if I was forced to choose at this early stage, I'd say Marlboro reds or Blue diamonds/Blue pandas with nice high bodies....those are for me. In a tank filled with green plants (sorry BB folks) It's all a dream right now.

I also read that PBs will breed easier/faster? Then I would say I'd like those in my future. Just for the experience and thrill.

The wilds are truely beautiful. No crosses or hybrids (please)because I'm having a hard time keeping track of all these beauties that are already out there. Years from now, I might feel differently but for now, I'm inundated... As Martha would say "it's a good thing" :P