PDA

View Full Version : Water Changes

Darren
02-13-2003, 11:09 PM
Hello Everyone! I am new to forum! Not new to discus. I've been keeping them for three yrs. (but still feel like a novice). Regardless, question concerning water changes. I see a lot of people who post on this site change water up two 100% changes twice daily?? I've been doing 25-30% changes 2-3 times per week since I've been keeping them with no apparent problems. Isn't this enough or should I be doing more? Keep in mind Discus is my hobby, not my life.

Thanks,

Darren

Ralph
02-13-2003, 11:40 PM
Hi Darren, Welcome to Simply!
The 200% per day is on the far end of the WC spectrum. Most of the serious discus keepers are in the 25% to 50% per day range. But it also depends on the fish load in the tank and the age of the discus (young ones get fed more and need more of a water change). You can of course get by with less than 25% per day but your fish may not get as big (if you have young ones). I'm a pragmatist though, if what you are doing is working and has for a while, then you are probably fine.

Smokey
02-15-2003, 08:09 PM
Welcome Darren; perhaps a simple answer to your question - change water when the NITRATES are up to 5 - 10 ppm !!! AND CHANGE ENOUGH WATER TO BRING THE NITRATES BACK DOWN TO 0 ppm.
Try this for a week or so and then tell me what you observe reguarding your discus behaviour. I believe you'll see a remarkable change.
Sound like work, nah - just part of the fun.
Cheaper than working out at the gym!!!

Smokey
Good Luck, buddy.

Jameson
02-16-2003, 04:45 AM
What if your tap water has 4 ppm nitrates almost all the time?

jc

Carol_Roberts
02-16-2003, 11:40 PM
I have the roots of philodendron in my tanks, with the leaves draped across the back. They use the nitrates.

Darren
02-17-2003, 09:29 AM
Smokey,

That is the reason I have only been doing 2-3 per week. The nitrates don't ever get that high by doing what I am doing. All of my fish are adults excet 3 I just recently purchased. I have 13 adults. I will take your advice and try to do daily changes with the three newbies and see how they do.

At least working out improves your overall health! Changing water daily, only the discus may benefit, not me!!! :)

Darren

Smokey
02-18-2003, 05:45 AM
Darren - hahahahahahahahahaha - LOL.
Even though I have pumps to move my water in/out ... I still enjoy hoisting a bucket now and then... brings back old memoirs!

Smokey