PDA

View Full Version : specific conductance= conductivity?

ReeferKimberly
02-14-2003, 02:52 AM
I looked up the water quality report from my city and it says the specific conductance is 77 and the avg. hardness is 33 ppm or mpl. i could not find the kh ang gh and can't get a test kits for a little while. Is the specific conductance the same as conductivity and if so, is this good for breeding or does it need to be higher/lower? I use black water extract and peat so i think my water must be softer the the cities original. the ph of my tanks is at about 6.4-6.6. does this sound ok? what should i change?
thanks guys,
kim :-*

Steve_Warner
02-14-2003, 05:35 AM
Hi all,
Kim- Yes, the Specific Conductance is Conductivity. It should say next to the reading (or down below in the "key list") it is in uS(microseimens) or umho(micromhos). That is very good water you have there! Your Hardness is 33 ppm(Parts Per Million) OR mpl(Milligrams Per Liter=mg/L)-----these are equal defined measurements as 1ppm=1mg/L-------The hardness should be expressed in terms of CaCO3(Calcium Carbonate) equivalents, which means the water contains this many minerals(only ones that contribute to Hardness!) that would be equal to 33 ppms of CaCO3 if that was the ONLY thing contained in there, theoretically. I would venture to say you are VERY LUCKY to have such good water straight from the tap. It might be a little too soft for developing fish, but I'll leave that one up to the expert breeders on this site. Keep up on those W/C's and you should have NO PROBLEMS, IMO. HTH

Steve

Aquatic_Design
02-14-2003, 06:57 AM
Kim,
You should know that Blackwater Extract will raise your conductivity.
Donna :)

02-14-2003, 08:41 AM
Kim

You should also know that "blackwater extract" is a complete waste of money....particularly if you have water like yours and your using peat.

You have great water(soft) but if your growing out small fish I think its a bit toooo soft.

Tony

ReeferKimberly
02-14-2003, 04:50 PM
well the bwe was cheap anywayz, plus the fish seem to look perkier with it. maybe it's just my imagination. i'll just use this bottle and see what happens and i will probly not buy anymore after this. its only a small bottle sdo it won't last very long anywayz. thanks everyone for the info, now i'm happy that i know this, but what about my gh and kh, can i find these with math and not have to buy a kit or will i have to buy one? thankz again!
kim