PDA

View Full Version : EbJ heaters

Fisheyes
02-14-2003, 01:55 PM
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
I have 3 fairly new heater.(2 months old ) that I can not get to heat over 85 deg. The lights thermostate light never goes out.
They are two 200watts. One in a 33 gal and one in a 20 gal.
the other ones in a fifty gal. these things are not overworked in that size of tank surely.
I am so fed up with these things I have written and expressed my concern.
Am I the only one that has had this problem and if not I would suggest a letter of complaint

Ryan
02-14-2003, 02:00 PM
This has been going on for some time, and even some of the larger pet warehouse chains have acknowledged the fact that they've been getting a lot of returns/complaints.

There is a thread regarding this problem on the board, though I am not sure where it is. Their customer service number was posted and you can send your information directly to them. Many here have had this problem with their Ebos.

Ryan

fcdiscus
02-14-2003, 02:31 PM
I have had the same problems with 200 and 250 watt heaters. I have replaced them with VisiTherm. Frank

ALEXIS
02-14-2003, 02:31 PM
I just sent one back to be replaced. I had it in 29 gallon tank and the light would not come on and the temp would only reach 85 degrees. This was a 250 watt heater. I would suggest the Titanium heaters and I am planning on trying a stainless steel type heater also.

Alexis
P.S. Don't freeze the fish change brands.

brewmaster15
02-14-2003, 02:38 PM
Call me optimistic here, but man I see an awesome business idea.....

.... somebody design and manufacture a reliable heater. sell it for $100.00 a piece and you'll be sitting pretty.

Truth is... I haven't seen a heater out there yet that fit the bill, and sadly ..EBo's used to be pretty darn close. Its a shame.

-al

fcdiscus
02-14-2003, 02:45 PM
You are right Al, I have some 10 year old Green Ebos that still work like clockwork! Not much you can depend on anymore, huh! Frank

02-14-2003, 02:48 PM
Ok, you're optimistic. There would be such a small market for $100 heaters you'd quickly lose interest. Jehmco sells a 500w titanium heater with a controller for $109. Sure, it's overkill for a 30g tank but in my experience the controller is very reliable and has never overheated a tank, or underheated one. And for larger tanks these things are awesome. But I don't hear everyone recommending that people switch their $18 Ebos with $109 Jehmco heaters. Instead I see recommendations for other $20 heaters, often with little or no experience with the heater. For $20 you're going to get a $20 heater and some will fail. And for $100... well, there's already something out there that works well.

Dave

Fisheyes
02-14-2003, 03:01 PM
??? ??? ???
Gee Dave
I do not know where you are in Canada but in Calgary EBOs cost 40 to 60 bucks . I f you get them for 18 Canadian let me know pleeeeeese
Ken ;D ;D ;D

brewmaster15
02-14-2003, 03:17 PM
Dave,
Actually I spoke with John at jehmco about his titanium heaters and had a really nice talk about titanium heater technology in general. I would have spent the hundred dollars for one for my 30 gal.'s with breeders I value much more than that. ..but not only was the heater over kill. He was pretty straight forward in not recommending it for a 30 gal tank for obvious reasons.

my view...

Hobbyist will pay $30-$100 for a filter, $200-400 for pair of breeding fish. $65- and up for a tank. A good reliable heater made by a custom mfg, for smaller tanks is not tremendously out of the price range of what hobbyist will spend. I have seen people spend 25-35 $ for garbage fish.

That said, I hardly thought anyone was going to jump into idea and run with it. It was a joke on the heater industry. But after reading about everyones losses.. I'd probably buy one, and if I had lost fish to heater failure I would be even more likely to buy one. ...but thats just me.

But I don't hear everyone recommending that people switch their $18 Ebos with $109 Jehmco heaters. Instead I see recommendations for other $20 heaters, often with little or no experience with the heater. I do agree with you here, and you will not find me recommending any heater brands, as I believe that most conventional heaters are similar in their track records.

Like wise I am not convinced that titaniums are as good as they say., and am sure that all titaniums are not created equal, and many have not been in use long enough to really gain a reliable reputation.

jmo,
al

Fisheyes
02-14-2003, 03:29 PM
I guess the answer is a double heater One set a little lower than the other .At least you will have some idea when the second one comes on.
Two cheap heaters are better than one exspensive one that don't work.

Don_Lee
02-14-2003, 03:48 PM
That is what I have been thinking too Fisheyes-I am planning on buying more smaller watt heaters rather than relying on fewer larger watt heaters. Seems the only way to be as safe as possible.

Don ;D

Fisheyes
02-14-2003, 04:41 PM
I got so put off at these things I just took it back to the LFS and dropped 2 of them on the counter .No bill no nothing .Told them I bought them 3 months ago and wanted to exchange them.
We Can not do that without a bill .
I said yes you can walked over picked up 2 and Laid them on the counter.
She put them in a bag and I said good service-- its easier for you to send them back than me
Thanks for your help you will see me again soon to spend more money ;D ;D ;D
Ps I use to use those old 11 dollar heaters two in a 50 gal tank and now that I think of it they never did fail

02-14-2003, 04:53 PM
Ebo's???? well you know the old saying...If you cant say anything nice about them................

Randy

02-14-2003, 05:35 PM
EBO's SUCK..... If I ever see anyone working for EBO, I am gonna slap him..... >:( >:(

darcy
02-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Here we go again!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I must be lucky I guess I have only had 2 Ebo's that didn't heat and that was sometime ago. I still have them in my tanks and am knocking on wood!!! So Anand what do you use now?

Darcy

daninthesand
02-14-2003, 08:21 PM
My 2 cents.

I can see a potential problem with using two (or more) heaters in the same tank. Increases the likelyhood of cooking fish due to heater failure. (stuck "on").

Actually I think I'll need change for that comment...two cents is way overpriced. ;D

Daniel

PS. For what its worth I use EBO's (200watts) and Tronics. and have some older visitherms. All are working satisfactorily and I too use multiple (more than 1) in tanks at times. My ebo's are newer (less than ~ 4 months). I have one ebo that is an old green one I got for free (used) from a store that had no idea if it worked or not. SO far it keeps my 55 gallon barrel of water 85 degrees (set at 8 ) without fail. And it does shut off ....I checked ;)

Don_Lee
02-14-2003, 08:47 PM
I was thinking of going with 2 or more underpowered heaters, like 2 100's, for a 29 gallon tank. That way, if one stuck on it would take longer for the tank to overheat....oh well, no guarantees I guess.

Don ;D

02-14-2003, 09:15 PM
Fisheyes,

I was referring to US$. But if you need 50 of them you can get them for $21.50 Cdn including freight.

Dave

02-15-2003, 03:00 AM
Darcy, I am pretty happy with the titaniums, i am also trying on proaquatics haven't had any issues yet with that... But ebo's just suck I have about 15 in the garage cause they don't go over 80F.....

Jameson
02-15-2003, 03:59 AM
I like the ebo jager thickness of glass for strength, and the kida solid feel the whole heater has, but after recently buying a 250watt titanium tube heater (via-aqua??) which holds a 55 gal at 89 dead on, switches on for a few minutes an hour maybe, and I needed two 200 watt ebos to do this. not to mention the fact that the temp adjustment never seemed calibrated, meaning you sometimes Ihad to set some at 85 to hold 83 or one of mine set to 82 would hold 86 with scary accuracy. I have multiple thermometers monintoring tanks at different areas within the tank to ensure even heating e.t.c. frankly i have become obsessed with the heat accuracy stuff. my ebos are a 75watt in a ten gal with a pair of blue rams mating with 9 cardinals in barebottom arrangement with a small pot containing tank high rotala indica. and the 45 gallon holding tank for water changes holds my old 75 watt, the rest have been trashed. not proven yet, but i believe titanium or stainless steel tube style heaters will ofer the most durable and highest output heat per size, and the ones with seperate temperature probes really aid in being able to have it maintain an even all around tank temp. all of this is imo and the lack of capitals in my post is because my keyboard does weird things when i hit the shift keys for some reason. gotta pick up a newie.

jc