PDA

View Full Version : Am I feeding enough?

pissydiscus
02-17-2003, 01:49 AM
Currently I have 4 Discus and 10 no wait now 8 neon tetra's. Apparently the little devils decided they wanted to eat two of the tetra's. I'm not exactly sure why.

Every morning at 7:00AM I feed 3 frozen foods, Hikari bloodworms, Hikari brine shrimp and Hikari mysis shrimp.

Same thing at 1:30-2:00PM depending on what time I get home from work.

Then again at 8:30PM, 1 hour before the light goes off and before I goto sleep.

Should I be feeding them more? Throughout the day if I see them looking like they want food I'll toss in some slow sinking pellets or flake food. I'm not sure if I should feed more though. The discus are juvi's about 2-2.5" in size.

Suggestions?

fcdiscus
02-17-2003, 02:05 AM
I would feed Discus that size 5 or 6 times a day! Frank

pissydiscus
02-17-2003, 02:26 PM
With that 5 times a day should I be feeding them those 3 frozen foods each feeding?

fcdiscus
02-17-2003, 02:28 PM
I usually only feed one type of food at a time, but I do not see how it would matter much! Frank

Carol_Roberts
02-17-2003, 04:49 PM
Look at their little tummies . . . . are they flat? Are they running for the food . . . . eating every bite in 5 minutes and looking for more? Then they need bigger portions or less time between feedings.

If their tummies are rounded and they just mosey over to look at the food . . . . or turn up their noses at flakes . . . . you are feeding too much.

Unless they are too full to move they will hunt and kill tetras and corries just for fun.

pissydiscus
02-18-2003, 06:02 PM
Look at their little tummies . . . . are they flat? Are they running for the food . . . . eating every bite in 5 minutes and looking for more? Then they need bigger portions or less time between feedings.

If their tummies are rounded and they just mosey over to look at the food . . . . or turn up their noses at flakes . . . . you are feeding too much.

Unless they are too full to move they will hunt and kill tetras and corries just for fun.

My discus are not very picky eaters. They will eat tetra bits, flake food, blood worms, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. All though they never did like that discus delight.

I have upped my feedings, their bellies are usually always round but love food still. I think I'm feeding them the right amount of food now. I just think that the tetra's are doomed now, lol. There's only 5 left now. I almost feel like pulling them out but they have no where to go, I don't really want to flush them either.