PDA

View Full Version : Feed with LIVER?

amirnezhad
02-17-2003, 06:40 PM
Hi,

I am a new Discus keeper and I went to too many shoppings to buy food for my new fishes (Discus) But unfortunately I can not find Daphnia, Bloodworms and Tubifex worms :-[
Now I want to know can I feed my Discuses with very small pieces of Earthworms or Liver? and If I can, please tell me what I have to do to feed them with this kind of food?

Thanks

chirohorn
02-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Can you get access to beef heart? It is an excellent source of 'clean' protein. There are already recipes posted in this forum.

I've never tried liver, but imagine it to be a 'fatty' source of protein (although high in iron content).

If you use earthworms, you may want to dip them in water for a few minutes to clean 'em up before feeding. I bet it's fun for the fish to tear the worms apart.

Carol_Roberts
02-17-2003, 10:05 PM
Liver fouls the water very quickly. I don't know of anybody that feeds it. Heart is good. It doesn't have to be from a cow, but bigger hearts are easier to clean of veins and sinews.

Earthworms are very good for discus. Adult discus may be able to eat tiny worms whole. You can also try chopping them up.

Remember with any new food to feed just a little until the discus get used to it.

cwinter
02-22-2003, 11:33 AM
I have seen on other internet sights that chicken/turkey liver has been used in Discus food recipes. Must admit, not allot of supermarkets keep beef heart.

02-22-2003, 01:27 PM
It can be ordered tho from a butcher or such. We have Byerly's here in Minnesota and they ordered it for me..... Just a thought. :)

DISCOMEXICO
02-26-2003, 05:17 PM
I understand liver has a lot of fat and polutes water very fast, try beef heart instead LoL

Steve0199us
03-10-2003, 02:35 PM
-How exactly would you prepare the beef heart from the moment you get back from the market?

-Does it polute the water?

brewmaster15
03-10-2003, 05:58 PM
Hi steve,
take a look at this link..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=4569

Its a good starting place for you.

-al