PDA

View Full Version : Can discus eat themselves do death?

stygian7
02-18-2003, 11:50 AM
Last night I fed my fish a healthy serving of blackworms. I put in extra because I have a fish that's not eating well. I figured the worms would be fine in the water for a while if the fish didn't finish them. This morning my favorite discus is floating with a huge abdominal bulge. Could he have eaten himself do death or is it more likely that something else was going on? I feel like such an idiot.

Dennis_Hardenburge
02-18-2003, 01:10 PM
Yes
Live worms are the only food I know that can do this.
The fish get plugged up and all the nastey bacterial in the worms does the fish in.
Dennis

fcdiscus
02-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Dennis, I have had a fish do the same thing overeating on Tetra bits and Brine shrimp. I think your blanket statement on Worms is incorrect! Frank

Dennis_Hardenburge
02-18-2003, 02:24 PM
Ok Frank
Death from bloating can happen with any food, I personally have never had it happen except with worms.
Dennis

black rat
02-18-2003, 04:17 PM
is it possible that u get gluttons in some fish so if you allow them to have too much food they will eat it all and cause their own demise........
lets face it some people do it.......and wer'e meant to be higher up the evolutionary ladder ! :bounce2:

stygian7
02-18-2003, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the info; just when I think I've got my discus figured out pretty well, they find a way to teach me something. Not to pleased with their most recent method.
-Kevin

bmrin1
02-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Definitely can happen. I have seen my discus pig out on worms and get bloated, I have also seen this happen with pellets like tetra bits and azoo discus pellets.
Brian

Dennis_Hardenburge
02-18-2003, 06:05 PM
Kevin
Sorry to hear about your loss
To me this is about the absolute worst way to lose a fish as we blame our selfs.
You are not the only one this has happened to.
Should you have a bloated fish still alive most times adding epsom salt at two table spoons to each ten gallons of water to the tank will clear them out.
Sorry
Dennis