PDA

View Full Version : Sterilizing Sponge Filters

jsojda
02-18-2003, 03:36 PM
I thought that i had read somewhere that microwaving a used sponge filter will sterilize it? Is this true, if so for how long and if not what would be a sure fire way to sterize it? I want to swap out one of my sponges for a larger one that is in another tank. All fish in both tanks are healthy and eating but i don't want to take any chances. Thanks for your help

02-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Yup Microwave does the trick.... Great tip from Cary... :) Can't remember how long he said to do it, but I usually set it on high for 3 mns.... Leaves them steaming for sure........ :thumbsup:

Julz :)

Ryan
02-18-2003, 04:15 PM
Yep, I use 2 minutes. Make sure they're nice and wet. I put mine in a little dish with water. Use caution when you take them out though, you'll burn yourself :o

Ryan

jsojda
02-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys i'll give it a try tonight!

Dennis_Hardenburge
02-18-2003, 06:19 PM
I use bleach, it is hard on the sponge though, and they need to be aired out for some time.
Just curious to those that use the microwave, have any of you ever had the sponge melt from the heat.
Dennis

brewmaster15
02-18-2003, 06:39 PM
I've used bleach in the past too, boiling for 45 minutes sterilizes is fine as well.

If theres no disease probelm, and I just want a clean start hydrogen peroxide over night works great and is safe .

If theres any disease problems I just pitch them and start over. replacements hydros and ac 500's are only a few dollars. I usually have a couple extras on hand,

hth,
al

fcdiscus
02-18-2003, 07:32 PM
I agree with Al! No reason to use any sponge that has been through a disease bout. They are cheap enough at Jehmco! Frank

Jason
02-19-2003, 05:35 AM
you guys ever put a marshmallow in the microwave for a couple minutes? fun stuff :thumbsup:

slicksta
02-19-2003, 08:26 AM
if a problem comes a long,
you must Bleach it...
if there's algae on a sponge,
you must Bleach it....
Now Bleach it...
in the sink...
go forward....
move a head
Bleach it good....
no need to worry....
and rinse it well.....
Just Bleach It..... ;D

02-19-2003, 08:52 AM
LMAO!! Slick

Did you have a silver space suit on and a red flower pot on your head while you typed that?

DEVO LIVES

Tonyhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/4/eek2.gif

jsojda
02-19-2003, 09:47 AM
Thanks everyone for the great replies. Another question, the sponge has been through Al's six week quarenteen (along with a few fish) with no sign of sickness present. I am assuming that the q tank process would work on the sponge as well?

...But we all know what happens whe i assume

slicksta
02-19-2003, 10:08 AM
* I AM DEVO *