PDA

View Full Version : Transporting fish in What?

Wolf
02-18-2003, 05:30 PM
I was wondering what is the best way to transport fish if you don't have plastic bags or oxygen to put them in. Maybe a small cooler or a 5g bucket with a batter powered air line. Give me some suggestion here discus experts. These fish will have to survive at least an hour drive.

Carol_Roberts
02-18-2003, 05:47 PM
It won't be a problem. $2.99 styrofoam cooler with lid loosly placed on top works great, but a 5 gallon bucket filled half full will also work. Loosly tape lids on with duct tape to repvent jumpers, but allow a little air. I placed blankets around as packing so they wouldn't move around too much on my 2 1/2 hour trip to Corvallis (visiting with Jeff and Dennis and John )

Wolf
02-18-2003, 05:54 PM
Thanks Carol. You come through once again... ;D

Dennis_Hardenburge
02-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Wolf
For an hour you shouldn't have any problem with no air pump, unless you are way overstocking your container.
For purposes as yours I really like a small cooler, because it is insulated and has a lid.
Dennis

02-18-2003, 06:16 PM
Wolf, The only potential problem I see is if you are driving with the fish getting sloshed around --there is a possibility of injury. Joe

snowshoe
02-18-2003, 07:03 PM
hi,

I have have moved a lot of fish over the years and can say that for large fish such as discus you will be much better off to pack them singly in bags use an air pump to fill them and then put them is a cooler. The fish can get very excited and "tear them selves up" i have done it! Bring a little extra water and bags in case of an emergency. Most fish shops will sell or give you the necessary bags to move your fish. This is a short trip and shoul;dnt be a problem without oxygen. Remember less water more air.

Carol_Roberts
02-18-2003, 08:06 PM
I never thought of using an air pump to fill the bags with air duh :P I love it when I learn new tips. I thought you had to use an oxygen cylinder. Regular air will work just fine for an hour or two or three. Putting them in bags in a cooler is the safest way to transport. Thanks Tim!

02-18-2003, 08:47 PM
If you drive like I do ;D Joe is right....sloshing around would be a major concern! Bags are the best Idea. If you have access to a LFS ask em for some bags.
And definatly use an airpump to fill the bags...DONT blow into the bags to fill them Your blowing Oxygen depleted air thats HIGH in carbon monoxide into the bags if you do....BAD!

Tony

Richman
02-18-2003, 08:51 PM
An old man at a bait shop once gave me a tip on how to stop most of the sloshing of water when transporting fish or minnows in a bucket. Just float a stick on top of the water. Try it. It works.

paulmat
02-18-2003, 09:43 PM
I agree with Tim, you are much safer to get the bags and just use air. I have lost fish with the ole bucket/cooler routine. They will be a lot happier and less stressed in bags ;D

Paul :guitarist:

RAWesolowski
02-18-2003, 11:43 PM
A precaution in bagging discus is their sharp fins. When you bag the fish, insert a sheet of newspaper between the inner and outer bags. The newspaper will prevent a fin from puncturing both bags...

Wolf
02-18-2003, 11:49 PM
Wow! As always, I'm amazed at all the good advice I get here. Thanks for all the feedback.

Mick M
02-19-2003, 07:10 AM
Another tip if using plastic bags.
Fold the bottom corners up and use some tape to secure. The corner joints have a habit of getting pierced/ leaking.