PDA

View Full Version : Well water and R/O

espitzer
02-19-2003, 11:36 PM
Hi. I've been following the recent threads on issues with well water, using water softeners, and R/O units. I am currently on well water (nasty stuff).

The water for the house is on a water softener system which I just switched over to Potassium Chloride from Sodium Chloride. Not sure if this would cause as much of a problem for the fish if I used this instead of Sodium Chloride (GH=0, KH=11, TDS=850, pH=8.2). Anyone try this????

Since I've been concerned about using water from the softener I tried filtering the well water directly through a 3 stage water filter, which has effectively taken out the iron (at least the water is now clear). The problem is that the GH is about 23 (KH is about 11, pH = 8.2). TDS is showing as approx. 750.

In addition, I've got an R/O unit, that I could use to mix either with the filtered well water or the water from the softener. However, my BIG concern here is running my well dry making R/O water. I wonder if anyone has ever run their well dry???

I know using R/O (with necessary minerals is the way to go), but if that turns out not to be an option, I wonder which would be better, filtered well water or softened well water??

Eric

Carol_Roberts
02-19-2003, 11:47 PM
Carol sheepishly raises her hand. Yes, I almost ran the well dry trying to make RO water a couple of summer ago.

I have good news for you. RandallB has these RO Booster pumps that make all the difference. Instead of one gallon RO water to 8 or 10 gallons waste, I now get about a 1 to 3 ratio. I use a mix of hot and cold water to achieve these results.

My water is GH 11, pH 7.8. I don't know how discus will react in your much harder water . . . . .

espitzer
02-20-2003, 08:35 AM
Carol,

I actually have a booster pump (unfortunately paid way too much for it before finding out that RandalB was selling the same pump for half the price). It definitely helps the flow rate. I actually haven't figured out yet what the ratio is with it, which I will definitely do today.

This may be a dumb question, but how do you even know if you are running your well dry until it is too late? Was it just the pressure going down or was there some other way to know?

Eric

espitzer
02-20-2003, 11:47 AM
Just got my well tested and it got a clean bill of health. They said I could basically use whatever I want and it should be no problem at all!!

So I'm off to produce some R/O in preparation for getting some fish from Cary next week sometime!! Can't wait!

Bigmo
02-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Hey Eric-
Man, If I were you I would use straight r/o water, especially if this won't dry up your well. I tried mixing in some of my well water which has been run through a softener, and I was advised against it. My fish were not doing well either. Try that mixture I told you about the other day, your fish will thank you. I also fear my well drying up. Guess it's time for a booster pump.

espitzer
02-21-2003, 09:30 PM
I'm thinking of trying a few things out. I've been able to filter my well water so it seems nice and clear. So, I'm thinking of mixing some of it back into my R/O water, to at least save some on the well and also the life of the R/O membrane.

I'm also going to try the mixture Bigmo told me about. Finally, I'm also going to experiment a bit with RO Vital that I got and see what seems to work best.

Thanks again.

Eric

Bigmo
02-22-2003, 02:58 AM
If you use water from your softener you will extend the life of the membrane. Try that mix I told you about and let me know how it works out, I think you will find it works wonders. If you can go with all r/o water.