PDA

View Full Version : Regenerating RO

alsbeth
02-20-2003, 05:26 AM
Hi,does anybody know of a homemade mixture to regenerate R O water,instead of using the commercial stuff[like Kent etc]. Also must the R O water be airated for 24 hrs before use ? cheers Alsbeth

02-20-2003, 11:43 PM
Hi alsbeth,

Here is a recipe I found on the net.
Its was singed from Joe ? (enchanted discus ??) I don’t now.
So if anybody recognizes this recipe pleas fell free to tell so.

R/O + Minerals
If you wish to use 100% RO Water then this is what you add per 20 gallons. I reccomend using a conductivity meter or at the least a hardness test kit.All should be USP Grade
3 grams Calcium Sulfate
1gram Calcium Chloride
1gram Magnesium Sulfate
Calcium Sulfate is gypsom and is available at chemical supply
Calcium Chloride is sea salt-- available at chemical supply or pet store-- get the finely ground type so as to disolve easier
Magnesium Sulfate is merely Epsom Salts and is available just about anywhere
Many people use 1/3 Tap to 2/3 RO. I use 100% Ro especially in winter because of fluctuation of perameters. Obtain a free graph from your Municipal water supplier to see if this is for you.

HTH Ronald

korbi_doc
02-25-2003, 10:59 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hi Alsbeth, Ronald is right, this is Joe's recipe & it is a good one. I've been using it for awhile now, & use a TDS meter to raise the minerals for the fish needs, whether it's breeding pairs or raising babies. Just keep to the 3:1 ratio & you'll be fine. It takes quite a large am't for my 100% r/o water to get to the right level, probably more than the stated am't, but I just depend on the meter to guide me. Sorry to be late, not much sitting time at the pc during my convalescence, but it's gettin' better. lol Dottie ;D ;D

alsbeth
02-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Thank you both,for your replies.cheers Alsbeth

Ann
03-16-2003, 10:23 PM
I would just like to clarify. You state that calcium chloride is sea salt. Sodium chloride is in fact sea salt so should it be sodium or calcium chloride. I would assume calcium as you would not want huge amounts of sodium in which case you could not use sea salt.

Ann

03-17-2003, 06:15 AM
To whom are you referring to Ann ?

If you are asking me I would not comment on it since it is not my recipe. If you are asking Joe then please disregard this post.

I personally use R/O Right.

HTH Ronald

Steve_Warner
03-18-2003, 04:08 AM
Hi all,
Ann, you are correct in stating that sea salt is Sodium Chloride, but it is NOT just Sodium Chloride. This is the primary "salt" contained in sea water, but it also contains other "salts" as well. HTH

Steve

Don_Lee
03-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Or do it the easy way and get some Kent RO Right, for those who are lazy like me...lol

Don ;D

DavidH
03-25-2003, 12:43 PM
I'm using ro vital but having a hard time stablizing pH.
Using all ro my tap has chloramines.
Any suggestions.
Thx Dave

Don_Lee
03-25-2003, 07:00 PM
Experimentation with addition of some baking soda would help increase/stabilize the pH/KH. I am not sure how much to add, I would start with a little and see what it takes to get up to a KH of 2-4.

Don

03-25-2003, 07:07 PM
Hi Dave,

To stabilize ( I also use only R/O reconed with R/O right) I have added a small amount of Crushed Coral into the Filter.
Of course Sodium Bicarbonate will work also.

HTH
Ronald

DavidH
03-25-2003, 11:26 PM
I'm trying the baking soda method, but at 1/4 tsp per 10 gals the pH is about 7.4. Yet still no register on kh. I think to get the kh to 3 or 4 I'd have to add way too much baking soda and raise the pH way too high!
I wonder how the crushed coral would affect the pH and conductivity if you'er trying to breed.

Dave

03-26-2003, 01:33 AM
It has not much (20-30) effect on the conductivity in my Tank. The pH stays stable depending on how much I use. If I use to much it will rise.
But I am not breeding nor did I breed so I would not know that answer regarding breeding.

Ronald